• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is severe depression a sign of bpd?

D

Darren1234

Hey, I was just wondering about people's opinions on BDP and depression. I've got bad depression, two suicide attempts and self harm, with suspected bdp. Do they generally go together?

G

Girl interupted

No. It’s an additional layer that must be treated separately.

wraziel

wraziel

This things got comorbidity with another things. :/

W

WhySoSerious

Normally BPD depressive symptoms are somewhat short lived. If they persist then they may be treated separately but BPD individual often have more comorbidities than the average person.

I would aggressive treat the depression before stamping a BPD diagnosis. If it doesn't shift then maybe its a BPD presentation but BPD is often used because people self harm or try to end their lives. Its a very messy, and rather illogical way of diagnosing a person.

D

Darren1234

Normally BPD depressive symptoms are somewhat short lived. If they persist then they may be treated separately but BPD individual often have more comorbidities than the average person.

I would aggressive treat the depression before stamping a BPD diagnosis. If it doesn't shift then maybe its a BPD presentation but BPD is often used because people self harm or try to end their lives. Its a very messy, and rather illogical way of diagnosing a person.
Thanks sounds like good advice that seems to be the impression I get from reading the other threads. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow, I've been on anti depressants before mainly prozac I did notice an improvement at times but because of the drink of drugs and not always taking it regularly i didn't really give it a chance to work.

W

WhySoSerious

Yep ditch drink and drugs if you wanna combat depression (I assume you have, well done!) Alcohol in particular cancels out anti depressant medication effects. Good luck!

D

Darren1234

Yep ditch drink and drugs if you wanna combat depression (I assume you have, well done!) Alcohol in particular cancels out anti depressant medication effects. Good luck!
Cheers, yh I haven't done drugs for over 8 months but to be honest it's the drink that's the major problem for me always has been. I'm three days sober now but I binge drink, at the minute I'm managing about two weeks sober two weeks completely drunk. I've tried to find some aa meetings but I forgot about covid. Plus the alcohol and drugs and other things have ruined my memory.

W

WhySoSerious

Well at least you are trying your best :)

Alcohol turns people into someone completely different. I find it terribly sad.

D

Darren1234

Well at least you are trying your best :)

Alcohol turns people into someone completely different. I find it terribly sad.
Thanks, yh It turns me into some sort of creature. I don't recognise myself in the mirror anymore and haven't for some years.