is self harm a sign of weakness?

• Thread starter Flameheart (was BPDevil)
  • Start date
Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

it doesn't take much for me to resort to self harming, everyone else can probably manage what I struggle with easily, so I should accept that I'm just weak

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
no it id DEFINITELY not a sign of weakness
it is a sign you are struggling and you need love and support

when you feel like hurting yourself please come on here and talk to us instead
love Lu x

J

Jules5

Definitely not a Weakness... I self harm myself too-now for the past 8 years. I pick at my skin until it is bloody and then just keep on picking. Sounds gross I know. It looks like I am a Meth head or drug addict which I am neither. I have so many scars its pathetic. I am getting better now that my Risperdol has been increased too a level I feel like a Zombie all day. You do not have to use street drugs to feel all drugged up just go to to your gp. I remember once I had 49 bandaids on both my arms thinking this would keep me from picking-which is very painful I must add.

I am not sure what kind of self harm you are doing. Just know it is definitely not a weakness. Call it anxiety nervousness, but not weakness. And you may need some medications to arrest your self harm. Hugs

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

SH isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of sadness, so I'm guessing you're pretty sad.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

Is self harm a sign of weakness?

There is no straight answer... sometimes yes it is a weakness and sometimes you need to pull your socks up and fight it. I understand that self harm can be complex and can't always be fighted but sometimes it can.

L

LittleMissNameless

It's literally just a maladaptive coping skill. Everyone has coping skills this one is just one we have to learn to break because it's unhealthy, I think it makes you strong because no-one who got the chance to develop healthy coping skills has to unlearn them which is ridiculously hard

megirl

megirl

I think at some point in recovery and everyone's different that we need to take responsibility for our actions.
It has to come from us to want to stop, and learning different coping strategies

megirl

megirl

And no self-harm is in no way a weak-ness, it is a sign of your emotional pain.
We can learn better ways of coping, you will get there when things improve

Luci

Luci

Not a sign of weakness but a way to express and deal with your emotions in my eyes.

S

simonr1978

It's not a sign of weakness, in the same way no mental health issue is a sign of weakness. Different people cope with things in different ways and self harming is a coping strategy, not a healthy one admittedly, but resorting to that doesn't mean you're weak.

As someone who's recently found themselves back on the wrong side of this particular fence, you're not weak for doing so.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

no but when i was in that state i felt like it was a punishment for doing badly your brain wants to relieve the stress/pressure so it tells you to hurt yourself in no way you are weak not going through hell if someone told you that they are ignorant

R

Romafox

Definitely not a sign of weakness. It's a hard habit to break because it provides a release and that release is very personal and specific to who you are and what you are dealing with. It's something that can be overcome but getting to that point is a journey and please know that journey is not something to be ashamed of. You will come out of this. Even though physical reminders may remain you will heal and be stronger and more empathetic to the pain of others and more empathetic towards yourself. You are incredibly valuable and have so much potential. You will surprise yourself in how much you can grow and what you are capable of in life and how strong you can be.

fazza

fazza

I do not self harm and I do not normally post in this section.
From the point of view from an outsider looking in it really is not a sign of weakness at all.

It is a Condition and should never be though of an action of a weak mind. The battle that you face day in day out to stop yourself from hurting yourself is a triumph in itself.
Think of yourself as a warrior sometimes you may loose the fight but you will not loose the war. This is a sign of strength not weakness.

I salute you all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soulsearcher Self Harm Forum 6
D Self Harm Forum 7
vanish Self Harm Forum 13
midnightphoenix Self Harm Forum 17
Fairy Lucretia Self Harm Forum 14