• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is Saffron as good as fluoxetine? Human psycho pharm. 2014.Nov

F

firemonkee57

Saffron is the dried stigmas and styles of the saffron flower (Crocus sativus L.). It is the most expensive spice in the world. Saffron has been used as an anticonvulsive, analgesic, aphrodisiac and antispasmodic in traditional medicine. Pharmacological studies have shown that it may have anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti platelet effects. A recent meta-analysis, was confirmed to be effective for the treatment of depression (Hausenblas et al., 2013).

What are the underlying mechanisms that make saffron an antidepressant?

Lopresti & Drummond explores the evidence for saffrons antidepressant action and describes possible mechanisms in this article.

Is Saffron as good as fluoxetine? Human psycho pharm. 2014.Nov | Psychiatrist:Update

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think herbs and spices are far more medicinal that people (read: myself) realise.

It's interesting that this article suggests that it could treat depression. I'd have said it would be better at preventing it, to be honest. Once you're in a state of depression, it's not so easy to get out of but I can see how it might help reduce stress overall.

L

lovagemuffin

Tumeric GINGER all the indian spices have medicinal properties turmeric has been shown to stop the brain aging reducing plaque deposits. ginger helps arthritis pain and inflamtion. indian meals can be prepeared using theyre health science and spices to help with digestion and anti farting LOL

L

lovagemuffin

yeah ayurvedic medicine or life knowledge indian medicine a bit like Chinese medicine.