• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is recreational drug use ok?

chazxxx

chazxxx

Yes we know. Its always drummed into everyone drugs are bad ( well - just the illegal ones ) but is it actually ever ok to use drugs for a high? Medical drugs/illegal drugs/"legal highs". can you be responsible and recreationally use drugs? Or does it always lead to problems and addiction?
Illegal drugs are seen as bad because they are illegal but with that aside is it really an immoral choice too?

katya

katya

I think it depends why you do it. If you're self-medicating, I think that's a really bad sign. Also, if you make it a habit, that's (to me) another really bad sign. It also depends on what you do - a lot of drugs really fuck up your brain chemistry in ways we can't really fully understand at the moment.

However, things like MDMA have been used in couple's counselling. People have had life-affirming, spiritual experiences on psychedelic drugs. Also, in the US, they can prescribe amphetamines to help people feel better about themselves and lose weight at the same time, which wouldn't be considered in the UK. So it's a grey area.

It reminds me a bit of Helen Mirren who said that she'd taken LSD once, thought it was fucking awesome, then never touched drugs again because she didn't want to ruin the memory: I don't think there's any problem with that at all.

Having said that (although I know you were alluding to a hypothetical scenario in which there would be no illegality about this), there's the unavoidable trail of murder and crime that's left behind: someone, somewhere, was probably hurt in getting that drug to you, and that's something you sort of have to hold on your conscience. Well, it's not the user's fault, but you are, sort of, voting with your wallet, and it perpetuates what is a hideous and extremely violent criminal industry. I think drugs should be legalised for this reason and many others.

I don't think drugs are in themselves immoral, no. I think if you over-do them and they start to hurt you and the people around you, then there's a question to be asked.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

I think jruth caught most of the points to be made very well there. I'd add that anyone who has suffered psychosis is walking a thin line with using drugs, having suffered it once you are more vulnerable to coming off the rails again, and drug use can trigger psychosis. Even something as straightforward as cannabis has its risks, and I'd stay well clear of psychedelics.

On the flip side, I have heard reports that use of LSD can work as a kind of reset for the brain and so can help with some mental illnesses. There's research being done into this in the States, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to become therapy in the field.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Yes we know. Its always drummed into everyone drugs are bad ( well - just the illegal ones ) but is it actually ever ok to use drugs for a high? Medical drugs/illegal drugs/"legal highs". can you be responsible and recreationally use drugs? Or does it always lead to problems and addiction?
Illegal drugs are seen as bad because they are illegal but with that aside is it really an immoral choice too?
Without stating the obvious but drugs surround us. Nature provides them, and like a little game, they require a few dedicated individuals or daring pioneers to find out what does what.

So yeah I am pro-cannabis - its a plant, right? So why not have it.

Nobody lives forever, but we do have a brain and we can make choices - we are not animals.

Manufactured drugs are mostly legal - and a lot of us already take them.

I guess my stance is liberal.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Not immoral, but against it. even marijauana (spelling), is controlled by people up the food chain who are nasty and dangerous.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Anything you care to say about drugs is probably correct. We would all be better off without them but they've been around for millenia and everyone partakes even if it is only caffeine...

I feel tired of this argument. Sometimes I just want to say...life is hard and pretty damn crap and ppl like substances that take that harsh reality away but then i think...hang on...the reality is harsh because those users just can't fit into the reality they are expected to so actually...the answer is about political power and attitudes and wants and needs and hell no...I'm not going to give up on believing that placing a monetary value on everything and valuing monetary profit and personal gain above all other values is good. Sorry.

R

ricko4

ive tried many prescription drugs diazepam tamazepam nitrazepam dihydrocodiene cocaine marujuana amphetemines and plant food and i regret it all now but ive experienced it all notproud of it

T

Taffy

Did the plant food give you a growth spurt Rick?;)
I ask this as I am a bit of a short arse and I am eyeing up the Baby bio...:)

R

ricko4

Did the plant food give you a growth spurt Rick?;)
I ask this as I am a bit of a short arse and I am eyeing up the Baby bio...:)
lmao no but it made me take all my clothes off in a house party of about 20 people f ukin shamfull mate il tell ya be careful wid the baby bio

T

Taffy

I cant be taking all me clothes off at my age... I look like I need ironing. Watch the forum for traumatised young uns posting...
I might just have a cup of Horlicks and do me bunions instead. :)take care you xx
love
Taffy xxxx

R

ricko4

ha ha nice 1 you have made me laugh speak soon taffy xx

G

glimmerofhope

No. It never is. Any of it. I have studied drugs in great depth in University and was horrified to know what is in street drugs or what isn't known about what these drugs actually do. Even things that are prescribed or bought over the counter. If you aren't extremely educated on it then you shouldn't be doing it. If you were educated about it you would never do it.

Kerome

Kerome

That's true, most drugs are very highly processed chemical rubbish, with the possible exception of organically grown cannabis. Especially legal highs, those things are just awful in terms of composition. Or some of the composited drugs, I've heard some stories about stuff called krokodil, it rots you from the inside out. Not stuff that you should be putting inside your body.

T

thrill

I have done lots of the stuff including LSD ans MDMA, however getting hold of LSD these days is nion impossible and I mean the genuine pure stuff and not the many rip-offs.
My experimental days are long gone.
Street drugs wont do for everyone, just as meditation does'nt do for everyone or hypnosis that can trigger off psychosis.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

glimmerofhope

Even with marijuana, the stuff that people buy on the streets is full of some scary fillers. Even if you grow it yourself, smoking it causes more damage to your lungs than cigarettes. Only in pill format could it be considered safe for medicinal use but of course no one would want to do that because they only want to get high off it and you can't get high off the pills.