• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is pressure a good thing or a bad thing?

L

Lab rat

It’s job pressure and family pressure I’m talking about, and they are definitely NOT the same thing.

my job pressure: I’m responsible for everything engineering that gets done at my company, they can’t even use a drawing without my signature. This tends to be a good pressure, because I have total control over it. It just takes up such a large chunk of my life. Which leads me to my next pressure:

family pressure: I have an 82 year old mum who has altzheimers and my sister can’t cope with her. I have 4 kids and 5 grandkids they always want something to the point of being leeches and parasites. My wife is always running around after them.

the only person I have to talk to about all this is my dad, unfortunately he has been dead for 9 years, fortunately it doesn’t make any difference he still keeps dropping by.

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

It sounds like you have a lot going on.

Pressure is fine if you have developed the necessary coping mechanisms.

I am 32 and only just getting help with that part.

L

Lab rat

I’m late 40s

if I carry on at this rate, I’ll be able to retire at 55. I have enough money in the bank and a good pension set up.

I work 6 am to 6 pm, I’m out of the house by 4.30 am and not back until 7.30/8 pm I do this 7 days. I do this because I enjoy my work. My life , a typical day is get up at 3, watch a bit of Netflix, go to work, come home, eat, go to bed repeat ad nauseum.

I get a lot of family stress, and the only way to avoid it is to not be there. I’ve been fruegal squirrelling away money, as much as I can. I plan to pack in work at 55 and me and my wife buy a villa in Spain. Then I plan to enjoy my retirement.

vanish

vanish

Staff Member on Leave
That's a great retirement plan you have there, Lab rat!
I used to have a terrible work/life balance and it tipped me over the edge unfortunately, I am glad that hasn't happened to you.
I was under enormous pressure at work (funnily enough I worked in a lab) and lack of enjoyment in my job (there was no job security) added in combination with domestic abuse happening at home, I believe, was the catalyst for me going off the deep end. These days I try to have a better work/life balance (I consider study 'work' and keep it to working hours) and take time out to for pleasurable activities like dining out or visiting with friends.
I say, if you are feeling the pressure, try to address it (even if it is conversing with your dad- I still converse with my mother and she's been dead since 1990). Of course you could always speak about here on the forum too. Be careful too regarding burnout in your work and home life.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

It depends. Pressure can help some people, and hinder others. Too little pressure may simply not get people going, too much can overwhelm them :)