• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is overspending an actual symptom of bipolar?

Q

Queenoface

What I want to know is, does anyone actually have issues with overspending, shopping too often and having poor money management since being diagnosed with bipolar or is it just that I am indiscipline? because resisting to shop is very hard for me and I'm also trying to save but I'm failing terribly. Any tips on how to deal with this would be great.

Wish4TheNight

Wish4TheNight

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It is a pretty common behavior during mania, linked to increased impulsivity.
I've had it in the past and I still spend more money when hypomanic, but it's not out of control.
For me, it helps to think: do I really need this right now or do I want to continue to be able to own a car? Because then I'll have to save money so I can buy a new one when this one is finished. I'd hate to loose the freedom to go anywhere I want.
Maybe there's something you really want to save money for? Try to keep that in mind.

C

CabbageMama

I have issues with buying stuff and spending, but all within a reasonable budget, so not too much of a problem financially.

Wishbone

Wishbone

If it's a continual problem then I'd say it's a lack of discipline or trying to make yourself happy in others ways, or trying to fill a void. If it comes on all of a sudden over a number of weeks or days, is very much out of character for you and is wreckless (spending an obscene amount, more than you can really afford, or on things you really don't need...or a "I must have it now" kind of attitude) then it could well be a part of the upper reaches of the disorder.

This was one part I didn't like about the Stephen Fry documentary in that it showed him saying about how he needed this and he needed two or three of these etc. He wasn't manic at the time, he just wanted them and, perhaps most importantly, could afford to buy all those things at any point. It felt like he was playing up to the cameras to me anyway.

I haven't done it much but I did have two spells that stick out: in one I started gambling large amounts of money (I'd never been one for gambling before this at all), and bought loads of things for my home (which I also moved into when I shouldn't have done by the way), and in the other I bought multiple guitars which I couldn't afford to do but just had to get them. I'm not a wreckless spender at all so not like me to do such things.

Q

Queenoface

Okay thanks for the input. I will control myself as much as possible

G

Gratefultobewell

I am pretty careful spending money but was not when I was manic. I don’t even remember, but my husband says I was buying a lot of stuff.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I buy huge quantities of stuff and hoard it when manic, spending all of my money on junk I don’t need. When I come out of the mania I have to give it all away to the junk shops and charities. So depressing! xo, j