• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is Olanzapine(Zyprexa) prescribed only for Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder?

T

tony2010

Is Olanzapine(Zyprexa) prescribed only for Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder?

I am 22 and I was given Olanzapine 15mg. from my psychiatrist yesterday and i asked him do i have Bipolar and he said it sounds like it. So is that an official diagnosis then? Will i get a report telling me my diagnosis through the post or something? I live in Glasgow.

S

skyblue

I am 22 and I was given Olanzapine 15mg. from my psychiatrist yesterday and i asked him do i have Bipolar and he said it sounds like it. So is that an official diagnosis then? Will i get a report telling me my diagnosis through the post or something? I live in Glasgow.
Is Olanzapine prescribed only for schizophrenia and Bipolar ?

Anti-Psychotics are also prescribed for severe Anxiety and OCD.

It sounds like your Psychiatrist has diagnosed you as having Bipolar Disorder. As to whether or not you'll be receiving a report through the post, I suppose each Psychiatrist works differently. I never received any information at all.

Hope this helps alittle.:flowers:

B

Blackholesun

Tony. Bipolar and schizophrenia are very similar illnesses. The difference being that with Bipolar you are the same person with the same personality, only either manic or depressed. With schizophrenia not only does your mood change but also your personality.

Many of the meds used to treat bipolar are the same as the ones used for schizophrenia. (including risperidal/done which I take).

A good idea if you are concerned is to use wikipedia. I always do this before I will take anything. Infact, it was how I found out I had been prescribed Ritalin after telling him I didn't want it. It was basically Ritalin under a different name the crafty fucks.

Last edited:
T

tony2010

Hi. Thank you everyone for all you replies. I have another question - do you think the Olanzapine was prescribed for Mania?I was put on it after i said iw as having racing thoughts, lots of energy, feeling ontop of the world, excessive spending ect. How will the Olanzapine help me? Thank you

Last edited:
A

Affective

Hi. Thank you everyone for all you replies. I have another question - do you think the Olanzapine was prescribed for Mania?I was put on it after i said iw as having racing thoughts, lots of energy, feeling ontop of the world, excessive spending ect. How will the Olanzapine help me? Thank you
When I was Manic, Zyprexa got me out of it and slowed my thoughts down and helped me sleep. Zyprexa generally doesn't help with depression but rather is there to treat Hypomania and Mania.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
When ever i see my my psychiatrist i am sent a letter detailing what was discussed and if there was a difference in diagnosis it was detailed in the letter. Over the last few months my diagnosis has changed from bipolar to schitzo affective disorder. My psych sent a copy of the letter to my GP as well so that he is kept up to date with how i am.

I dont know if it the same thru every other MHT tho

mypd

mypd

hi Tony2010,

All 3 of my dignosis were done by different pdocs but in the same way as you. I have yet to recieve a papr in the mail and since I have finally settled on a pdoc, it would be helpful to show her them instead of again undergoing an assessment.

Personally, I haven't taken Zyprexa but I know peope who have and it has helped them with some behaviours, thoughts and expressions. They never seemed "flat" which is one of my largest fears with meds for mania.

Wishing you well

T

tony2010

I have other questions i hope you don't mind answering.
1)A few days ago when i asked the pdoc in Glasgow if i had Bipolar he said "it sounds like it" is that a diagnosis of Bipolar then?
2)Is Olanzapine sufficient enough to treat Bipolar Disorder alone?
3)If i find that the anti-psychotic makes me feel better will i be kept on them for the long term?
Thank you very much

S

*Sapphire*

I had Olanzapine prescribed to help treat me for an eating disorder.
Watch out for weight gain whilst on it, it is a common side effect.

A

arwilliams

Sleep and anxiety

Seroquel especially is often prescribed off label for sleep.

Zyprexa is occasionally used for anxiety although infrequently.