Is OCD related to Depression?

U

Unsolved

I remember having depression at the same time I was diagnosed with OCD and needing to take Prozac. But I know that a person who has OCD may not necessarily have depression. But then again,I thought that both are inter-connected since both causes are low seratonin? Correct me if I'm wrong.

J

JamesUniversal

It can be or it cannot be. And neither depression nor OCD are caused by low serotonin.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Its possible think of a bunch of circles inside other like the olympics symbol you can have different things eg depression,suicide ideation,OCD they are the ones i have for everyone it differs

D

dewey

What are the causes of depression and OCD? I would like to know.
Wouldn't we all like to know the causes. Even the scientists don't really know exactly what is going on.

Low serotonin levels are linked to depression, yes. But to say that low serotonin causes depression, hmm, low serotonin levels are observed in people when they are depressed, but obviously depression can have a range of causes, which aren't probably understood - people have their theories. Not sure why the above poster said "neither depression are caused by low serotonin" so strongly, there is dfinitely a link between low serotonin and depression hence why SSRIs work. And women commonly get depressed when their serotonin levels drop during their menstrual cycle.

You are right, depression and OCD do not necessarily happen at the same time, but they can do.

D

dewey

OCD sufferers also have low serotonin levels. However that's different from saying serotonin levels are the cause. Correlation not causation, if you see what i mean?

Here's an article. See the following article: " two-thirds of people living with OCD will experience a major depressive episode sometime during the course of their illness" How Depression Complicates the Treatment of OCD. I'm sure you can find a range more resources online. I'm not very expert on the link between OCD and Depression but you're right, they both happen with low serotonin levels happening at the same time.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

now here's an interesting thing reg serotinin levels and the connection to depression. why then can someone who has low serotonin levels end up having a serotonin rush?

J

JamesUniversal

Saying depression is caused by low serotonin is like saying heart disease is caused by a low level of aspirin. Introduction of a drug causing an improvement in symptoms doesn't mean that a condition was caused by a lack of that drug. Show me credible scientific evidence that depression or OCD are caused by low serotonin.