• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is my relationship making me depressed?

V

Villianelle

Hi all, I just wanted to throw this out there! Is anyone else’s partner just completely unsympathetic towards their depression? I’ve been really bad during lockdown up & down. I’ve also being drinking quite a bit which made my depression worst! I’ve knocked that on the head now, and I’ve been better this week. Last wk I told my husband I was feeling suicidal; I just couldn’t shake it for days! I’d never go through with it because I have 2 kids and I couldn’t do it to them. But I just couldn’t shake the feeling and obviously coz I’m at home I only really had him to talk too. I felt like he just thought I was attention seeking, and didn’t take me seriously! That day we agreed we’d lay off the booze. That was last Tuesday. Tonight I got really upset about something stupid and I did over react but he was so hostile, called me a drama queen, and I just thought “last wk I was suicidal” how can You be like that?
im really thinking of ending our relationship. I just feel he brings me down and does not support me.
but obviously coz I have this illness I’m always doubting myself!! Thinking am I just blowing this out of proportion. But I just wish I could learn on him but he makes me feel worst!

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi all, I just wanted to throw this out there! Is anyone else’s partner just completely unsympathetic towards their depression? I’ve been really bad during lockdown up & down. I’ve also being drinking quite a bit which made my depression worst! I’ve knocked that on the head now, and I’ve been better this week. Last wk I told my husband I was feeling suicidal; I just couldn’t shake it for days! I’d never go through with it because I have 2 kids and I couldn’t do it to them. But I just couldn’t shake the feeling and obviously coz I’m at home I only really had him to talk too. I felt like he just thought I was attention seeking, and didn’t take me seriously! That day we agreed we’d lay off the booze. That was last Tuesday. Tonight I got really upset about something stupid and I did over react but he was so hostile, called me a drama queen, and I just thought “last wk I was suicidal” how can You be like that?
im really thinking of ending our relationship. I just feel he brings me down and does not support me.
but obviously coz I have this illness I’m always doubting myself!! Thinking am I just blowing this out of proportion. But I just wish I could learn on him but he makes me feel worst!
The quarantine is an unusual situation that is putting a lot of stress and strain on everyone. Maybe your husband is struggling in ways he hasn’t told you too? I would put off making any decisions to end your marriage at least until the end of the quarantine. Under certain pressures everyone breaks. I would also tell your husband how it made you feel when he didn’t take your suicidal ideations seriously and called you names. Let him know that you are really struggling right now and need his support. Ask him if he is also struggling. He may need your support now too. :hug:

V

Villianelle

Thanks for that. I do always try to be empathetic. My husband is really bad at communication. He hates talking about things, so if he is struggling he wouldn’t tell u and I’m the type of person who needs to vent my feelings. I also needs lots of reassurance which He just can’t seem to give me!
thanks for the reply x

N

Nukelavee

One thing we need to remember is that others have their own limits. It's important to understand that, even people without depression, for example, can feel down and empty.

They don't always have the extra capacity to handle our stress, and their own.

Which is why it's important to learn how to deal with as much on our own as we can.

this situation is hard on your husband, too - make certain you take his moods and needs into account.