• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is my opinion on a cure correct?

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Disclaimer: the following is only a personal opinion of mine after years of contemplation, experience and research. I also didn't know where to place this.

Before I start, the sensory systems mentioned below are kinda like our simple senses we have like "Mental", "Emotional", "Physical" or the "Body". But also "Non-physical sensory systems" like the "Non-physical auditory system" and the "Non-physical visual system" where hallucinations seem to be perceived. There is evidence of those last two actually being a genuine reality because it is established they commonly activate during sleep deprivation and dreaming but also with people who have brain tumors and other diseases. It's not only the case that when people are awake and experience a hallucination those systems become active. Everyone has them and they can be triggered for different reasons.

Hello everyone. I have come to the following conclusion regarding many major, chronic and debilitating Psychiatric disorders including but not limited to: Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD and Schizoaffective Disorder.

The conclusion is
: "Many chronic labels in Psychiatry are simply composed of disturbances that are manifested into different sensory systems that every human being has. These disturbances at the fundamental level follow the same mechanism of action but are expressed through different sensory systems."

So in simple terms I'm saying that many of these chronic disorders are simply the same negative ailment expressing itself through a certain sensory system.

I will give examples of this below to help visualize what I am saying.

OCD is known to follow the following mechanism of action: obsession -> cause compulsion -> the sufferer then typically responds which causes more distress

Hallucinations (whether auditory or visual) found in the diagnoses of Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective Disorder follow the following mechanism of action:
Hallucination -> cause fear, confusion and delusional thinking etc -> the sufferer then also is naturally distressed

As you can see from above I could simply name the above mechanism of action as a single general one as follows:
something unpleasant perceived in a human sensory system -> emotional turbulence -> some type of human response or distress caused etc

So you could actually simply describe many chronic Psychiatric Disorders as following the same essential and fundamental general negative mechanism of action.

Now with OCD the established principle of reversing the condition is to do the the opposite of how it operates which is like a healthy stress. So you basically do exposure therapy and don't act on the compulsion. After my research I realized that internally this is "rewiring the brain" or applying neuroplasticity which is basically when this "plastic brain" moves and the neurons are reprogrammed. There is a lot of evidence that many major chronic psychiatric disorders involve an issue with the neurons being programmed wrong.

But applying what I said about the fact that these disorders follow the same general mechanism of action and combining it with the fact that an example of a reversal of this mechanism of action allows a cure to arise as is the case with OCD. I believe that anyone with such debilitating disorders should simply start giving their brain a workout by giving it healthy stress/changes. The brain according to me would then literally move and reprogram the neurons.

But as I have stated in an earlier post. Helping the brain to move is not simply a case of exposure therapy, at least not in every Psychiatric disorder. The brain gets a workout when we exercise in sunlight too for example which gives us the natural melatonin dose we need to sleep at night which is another form of helping the brain to move and possibly contribute to neuroplasticity. Sleep hyigene in particular is a very well established principle of health for Bipolar patients as it helps to maintain and control it and I just mentioned how important it is for brain health.

In fact I wouldn't limit these issues to the brain either. Consider the stomach which is being regarded as the second brain now too.

So move, literally. Make healthy changes. Eat well. Speak well. Walk well. Breathe well. Socialize well etc. I feel this current epidemic could be improved immensely if holistic principles were applied.

My opinion may be hard to visualize, I am trying to make it more visual with time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a lot to say on this but I'll just say this for now.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Here is an updated to help visualize what I am saying:

This first is an image of this single mechanism of action I'm talking about that I believe underlies many or most chronic Psychiatric disorders.

simplified.png

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Just correcting above picture, it should be Non-physical auditory system for Auditory hallucination.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Here is a series of more pictures displaying the same underlying mechanism of action using information technology:

Starting with the Non-physical auditory system:

1.png

2.png
3.png

4. 4.png

(Notice the multiple labels sharing the same disturbance "Auditory Hallucination").

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Continuing...

Now I will select schizophrenia:

5.png

Now here is the main point. Do you find any major difference in the image below for OCD?

8.png

How did I achieve this? I simplified these disorders by describing their essential mechanism of action. I generalized the core issue and concluded they were manifestations of the same problem in different sensory systems.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

If anyone has any issues seeing the images please let me know I'm kinda new to uploading images on forums so i'll fix it.