• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is my Mom's Fiance real?

J

jkcee

my birth mother has been diagnosed with schizophrenia for many years now. I believe at this time she's suffering from a delusional disorder. She keeps telling me about a man named gar short for Garald. I have never met him. And when I have called the numbers that she had for him the people at the other end do not know who I'm talking about. She was in jail for a time for unpaid tickets and said she saw him while she was there. She said he was a bail bondsman and served her her lunch. I called the jail to ask about him and they said they never knew anyone by that name. Supposedly he has proposed to her by sending her a picture of a heart and wedding rings on her phone. She says he bookmarks things to her. There is more to the story, but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this type of behavior. I read about erotomania, but that seems to be imagining someone who exist is in love with you not imagining someone altogether. Please comment if you have any thoughts on this. I was concerned for her thinking someone was stringing her along. Should I look into this more or just let it go? If he is imaginary then it seems harmlharmless.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi jkcee. It is hard to know for sure what is going on with your mother. You have done quite a lot to try to find out the true situation, and it does seem to be imaginary or a delusion. I am not sure what else you can except to keep vigilant. If you feel things start to deteriorate you could contact her doctor.

J

jkcee

thanks

Hi jkcee. It is hard to know for sure what is going on with your mother. You have done quite a lot to try to find out the true situation, and it does seem to be imaginary or a delusion. I am not sure what else you can except to keep vigilant. If you feel things start to deteriorate you could contact her doctor.
Unfortunately she does not have a mental health professional as she believes she is Cured. She has resources available to her but chooses not to use them. I think overall she is doing okay. She has a place to live at this time which is not always the case. I will just keep asking her questions about this guy to see if i can figure it out. Has anyone heard of someone having an imaginary boyfriend due to mental illillness? She does not seem paranoid.

SarahD

SarahD

There was a television series a while back, a documentary about mental illness, and I vaguely remember there was a woman who had come from abroad thinking she was going to meet her fiancé and get married - there was no fiancé and she was put in hospital. So that may be the same kind of thing. It does sound like a delusion, there are all kinds, not just paranoid.

J

jkcee

Okay. That's what I was wondering. I have been searching the internet for similar situations but I was having a hard time finding any examples of "friendly" delusions. It sounds like it does happen.

O

Ofglen

My brother has schizophrenia too and has had a boyfriend for 20 years - whom nobody has ever met or spoken to. Like you, we are fairly convinced he is imagining this - so it's not entirely unheard of but it does seem to be rare

J

jkcee

Thanks for responding. It is good to know there are similar situations out there. I am trying to just let her be where this is concerned, as I am convinced more and more over time that it is a delusion. It is difficult when she tells me that this fellow is my real dad and that he delivered me in the hospital. All information she had forgotten until now. But she seems to be content with the thought of him and her life has been so difficult. I wish there were more studies done on these types of delusions.