• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is my friend okay?

H

hardtochooseone

My friend told me that there are many things he is afraid to do, because they are considered 'sin'. This sounds normal to me, but he never grew up in a religious family or anything, and its a deep fear. He says he is afraid he will die, or other undescribable things will happen if he makes mistakes and does not pray to recieve forgiveness all the time. Is this normal 'religiousness' or something else?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sometimes mental health issues can come in the forum of religious obsessions or delusions.
But, being deeply religious doesn't mean you're mentally unwell.
It's a line that's very difficult to draw and so I can understand your confusion around your friend.

Have you noticed any other signs that would indicate they're not well?
Are there other odd behaviours or have they neglected certain areas in their life?

I think the best you can do for now is keep an eye on the situation and if there are reasons to be concerned, perhaps have a conversation with your friend that you've noticed these thoughts etc. and ask if they're ok.
The thing is, even if they are ill, there's only so much you can do.

H

hardtochooseone

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

As for neglection, they have poor personal hygeine, their landry rarely gets done, and he spends a lot of time alone. He is also checking things a lot, like if he locked the door, and spaces out a lot.

H

hardtochooseone

Oh, and he does not pray all the time, or go to church, like someone who is religious. He believes in God, and mostly goes with fear if he goes against God.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It may well be then that he is suffering with mental health issues of some kind.
Have you tried discussing what you've noticed with them? Do you think they're aware that they might have a problem?
The thing I suppose that really needs to be taken into account is how they feel about these thoughts and behaviours. If they feel like they're unhappy and not in control of themselves, then that would indicate that they need help.