• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

is my daughter purging?

D

dodo

I am a mother and is looking for help! my daughter has been eating a LOT (like 2-3 people food) everyday without gaining a pound. She physically looks good and happy, and good grade, but I just feel she purges after eating. But I have been paying attention so long and don’t hear anything when she goes to bathroom (she turned on sink water sometimes)! and occasionally I notice some greasy stuff in toilet after flush. However she never admitted. We are very closed and I always trust her and don’t want to guess she is lying. Why it is so hard to find whether and how she purges so quickly and without being found out? how to help her?
thank you!!

Summerof76

Summerof76

I am a mother and is looking for help! my daughter has been eating a LOT (like 2-3 people food) everyday without gaining a pound. She physically looks good and happy, and good grade, but I just feel she purges after eating. But I have been paying attention so long and don’t hear anything when she goes to bathroom (she turned on sink water sometimes)! and occasionally I notice some greasy stuff in toilet after flush. However she never admitted. We are very closed and I always trust her and don’t want to guess she is lying. Why it is so hard to find whether and how she purges so quickly and without being found out? how to help her?
thank you!!
Hi Dodo,
You don't mention if anorexia is something your daughter suffers with- is it?
Could there be another explanation for what you suspect?
Many people can eat a lot and not gain weight- it depends on their metabolism. You've got a close relationship, so is there any way that you could speak to her about your concerns without directly accusing her of anything? For example, "I was talking to a friend online...they were saying they're worried about their daughter, who might have anorexia..."- see how she responds.

Just a suggestion. I really hope everything is okay for you both.

Jleighm

Jleighm

thank you!!
How long has this been going on and has she lost weight? Try to notice if she seems anxious after she eats or how quickly she uses the bathroom, typically within a half hour of eating. Look closely at her knuckles for cuts or scabs from making herself puke. Check her toothbrush to see if you see any signs of vomit.

R

Rogue7

Could be bulimia. Like the previous poster wrote, check her knuckles. Also see if she washes her face after. Turning the tap on while going to the toilet could be a sign that she is masking the sound. What foods does she binge on? Most ppl who purge (like myself) will opt to eat foods that come up easy. So things like bread and other heavy foods may be avoided.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
probablycrying Eating Disorders Forum 1
EWdavid Eating Disorders Forum 8
C Eating Disorders Forum 3