• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is mixed affective disorder severeness?

I

itsallaboutme

Is it a more severe them normal bipolar?

calypso

calypso

Admin
It depends on you of course, but for me it was very dangerous. Basically, you have the underlying depression, which could be severe and the mania can make you lose all inhibitions in relation to the depression. So you are at heightened risk of acting on the depression and the thoughts which go with it.

But not everyone is in that state depression wise. It is very upsetting as you can be hyper agitated and feel unable to cope. The whole assessment of danger is based on the clinical severity of the depression. I say clinical because we can feel terribly depressed, but we don't register on the severe depression scale. (online scales don't work, BTW). This is important as it all depends on the insight level you have.

I have had two serious mixed states. One I was depressed but retained insight, so could manage it - awful though it felt. But the second time it was much worse and I had no insight and ended up very nearly dying as a result. Giggling all the way to the hospital as they were doing everything to keep me alive, was odd - for the paramedics and, in retrospect, me.

But please don't panic. Few people with bipolar act on a mixed state, and now I know what to look for, I doubt I will again. There were all kinds of warning signs, but I didn't know to take them seriously enough at the time. xxx

C

celticlass

I have a current diagnosis of Mixed Affective Disorder. My frustration is that they don't tell you you are actually experiencing mixed state bipolar. And if you are a wimp - like me - you avoid the conversation or hit it side on because you feel daft (I work in mental health). It's not a pretty place to be - caused me no end of problems in my close family relationships. But I am now on Lithium and Mirtazapine and showing some signs of stabilising - mum died one month ago, I am coping etc. Good Luck xx

Passionflower

Passionflower

There is no diagnosis of Mixed Affective disorder in the ICD-10. The nearest one is Mixed Affective Episode. So either you heard them wrong or they have made a special disorder up for you Itsallaboutme.Mixed Affective Episode is filed under the depressive disorders not Bipolar and is listed as being given when no other diagnosis is suitable. It is classed as a mild disorder because the episodes are not bad enough or prolonged enough to warrant another diagnosis. Why don't you look up the ICD-10 as it lists every mental disorder and personality disorders that UK and European Psychiatrists diagnose us with.
There is such a thing as a mixed state in Bipolar so maybe you misheard them as that is something different from what I just wrote about.

C

celticlass

Crawlspace - I am sure you mean well to the original poster. I am in Scotland - I do have a working diagnosis of Mixed Affective Disorder. I also know that this means I have times of mania and depression intertwined - very dangerous (as Calypso points out). Personally - and as discussed with my Psych and CPN - I don't much care what the ICD-10 says - I/we have to cope with the symptoms and manage them. I am making NO mistake - I have been given a tentative diagnosis of Mixed Affective Disorder (what I read as mixed state bipolar) - there's little mild about it - if there were, I would not have had the family relationship difficulties or come within a fraction of losing my job due to extended sick leave. For the OP - I've got a treatment plan that is working, am doing well in my job and trying to make changes to my life which will minimise pressure and keep me healthy.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Read the ICD-10, that is what I did to research it and that is the results I found. No offence meant to the OP intended of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

itsallaboutme

It reads on my discharge form, 'reason for admission, mixed affective state' diagnosis Bipolar disorder.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Then Itsallaboutme your diagnosis is not mixed affective disorder as you stated in your fist post. Your diagnosis is Bipolar. If you had wrote that in the first place then their would be no confusion.You obviously had a mixed stated which is not the same as mixed affective disorder.

C

celticlass

I'm with you itsallaboutme - it's a horrible place to be - I've been in a mixed state at least twice. The most horrendous experience. We don't want it but we have it. Nothing mild about it - that's for sure!

C

celticlass

I have an earlier diagnosis of MS - largely based on intermittent physical and neurological problems. There is a category of Mixed Affective Disorder that has an organic basis. My Psychiatrist was made aware at the outset of the earlier problems and no doubt took that into account when giving the 'working' diagnosis. It's not simple - this psychiatry lark!

I

itsallaboutme

I'm sorry but I'm intoxicated, see you in the morning.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
wise man.

"severeness" is what impact you have on others, ultimately. I'm trying again not to get bogged down with words and boxes. No easy task, considering it's all words and boxes. If you don't quite follow what I'm saying, don't fret, as I'm not sure I do either.

Am stone cold sober, here. Would love a nice cold beer right now, but am very strict with myself at times, you have to be your own Watchtower ( no offence intended to JWs)... sometimes I'm convinced God is with me... I've appraised this... to no conclusion.

I'm boring myself now. Best wishes to you Itsallaboutme. Continue to consider you have the best pseudonym I've yet encountered on the internet. :)

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think the argument are about technicalities. I don't know if its a diagnosis or not, but I do know how mixed episodes feel and they are horrible. I have to say, I totally misread the title and thought it was about mixed episodes! Missed the point again.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I did too.

I've read the literature on mixed episodes. Would seem I've had them a lot. I acquired a very meaty book written by Goodwin and Jamison, called "Manic Depressive Illness." It's dauntingly detailed. Very much deserving of the moniker 'bible' (with a small 'b', and again, no offence intended to the lordly).

In the USA it's considered the go-to manual for the study of Manic Depression. There is a description in there about mixed episodes. I shall quote it, when my typing batteries have fully recharged.

Passionflower

Passionflower

No one seems to be reading my post as I wrote it .I never said there was not a diagnosis of mixed episodes or states in Bipolar, there clearly is and it is severe as I know from my own experience, although I an not diagnosed with Bipolar but with Schizoaffective disorder. I merely pointed out that what the OP said he was diagnosed with ie 'Mixed Affective Disorder' does not exist as a diagnosis in the ICD-10. The OP has pointed out that he is not diagnosed with that anyway so the disagreement is pointless now.