• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is lamictal good for depression?

F

fluffpill

I am taking it. I didn't get depressed the first day i took it but second day onwards it doesn't seem to be working that well in stopping the depression.

I have just started it and i am only in my first week so 25mg for now. Is it good for energy and motivation?

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
For me it lessens the depression a bit but it's more for balancing out and reducing the extreme highs and lows. I find that it works better at quelling the highs than the lows however which sucks but is still better than the alternative.

HLon99

HLon99

Yes lamotrigine is excellent and has virtually no side effects. However, taking it for 2 days will likely do nothing. It takes up to 6 weeks for lamotrigine to build up effective levels in the blood. What you likely experienced in day 1 was the placebo effect.

25mg is also a tiny dose. The usual maintenance dose of lamotrigine is between 200-400mg. Did your psychiatrist not explain this to you?

F

fluffpill

Yes lamotrigine is excellent and has virtually no side effects. However, taking it for 2 days will likely do nothing. It takes up to 6 weeks for lamotrigine to build up effective levels in the blood. What you likely experienced in day 1 was the placebo effect.

25mg is also a tiny dose. The usual maintenance dose of lamotrigine is between 200-400mg. Did your psychiatrist not explain this to you?
my psychiatrist said i'll be on 100mg max

gyutube

gyutube

lamictal seemed to only offer more unhelpful side effects but didn't seem to alleviate any of my depressive symptoms. i'm not sure if it's for everyone, because i have heard some mixed reactions.

B

Black Despondency

I have found that lamictal helps with my depression and only caused mild side effects while increasing the dose that went away quickly. Two weeks is usually the minimum amount of time it takes for most psychiatric medications to start working and some can even take up to eight weeks to be fully effective. I felt like lamictal was fast working compared with most other medications.

EarthChild

EarthChild

I'm on 200mg lamotrigine which does help with my severe depression. Last time I had that level of depression was end of last year when I lowered the dose too much and relapsed (I was taking 150mg at the time and lowered it to 100mg). Took two months to recover, and soon afterwards raised the 150mg to 200mg and it helped a lot. Still does.