• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is it weird to hate having a noisy job?

B

BpTyrant

It seems the more time goes on the more I hate working noisy factory jobs, I didn't used to hate it

But the more I get overly stressed out the lower my tolerance for the noise

Its like I have more and more days when I just want to get away from the stress, responsibility, and especially the noise

On some days I barely hold myself together when I think an Alarm is going off dozens of times and then I find out I'm just imagining it due to stress and a sort of "pattern" developing in my mind where its like a sound recording with Alarms going off at regular intervals

And yes I mean real alarms, not alarms that aren't there

The false perception is that sometimes I think I hear the alarms and they weren't going off at that time

N

Nukelavee

It's not weird at all. That kind of noisy environment, whether people noises or mechanical, causes me stress. It makes me jittery. huge part of why I avoid bars and clubs, it just makes me angry for no reason.

I think part of it having hyper-vigilance - On some level, I'm always trying to monitor my environment, I'm terrified of missing something important, or being caught unawares.

which means I get teh same issue you do - thinking I hear sirens or alarms, or somebody at teh door.

B

BpTyrant

It's not weird at all. That kind of noisy environment, whether people noises or mechanical, causes me stress. It makes me jittery. huge part of why I avoid bars and clubs, it just makes me angry for no reason.

I think part of it having hyper-vigilance - On some level, I'm always trying to monitor my environment, I'm terrified of missing something important, or being caught unawares.

which means I get teh same issue you do - thinking I hear sirens or alarms, or somebody at teh door.
For me its literally part of my job, I can be put in charge of 3 lines at once, each having several machines on them and some of those Machines let off very loud distinct alarms to point out that there is a Malfunction

And then I'm supposed to figure it out and get the machine back up to keep production going

When I'm running 3 lines, while I tend to 1 of them the other 2 are still running and that puts me behind nearly constantly

Some days a lot of those alarms are actually going off

Other days they dont go off very much, but I can still perceive alarms going off that aren't actually going off