• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is it unusual for a schizophrenic never to hear voices or have hallucinations?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. I am almost 38 now and (touch wood) have never heard voices or seen things. I have had paranoia but never felt like messages were being transmitted to me, it was more feeling like the world was against me. I also have problems with disorganised speech.

Is it possible that I could have been misdiagnosed? I always felt my symptoms were more like bipolar (I was emotional and had highs and lows which happened often hour to hour).

J

Justatheory

There are 15 different combinations of symptoms that somebody can have and be given the label "schizo", despite having nohthing in common with the 14 other people getting the label. In Europe, 50% of psychiatrist want to remove the label because it has hindered research + gives a bad noceblo effect to people. It has already been replaced with "psychosis spectrum" in Korea and Japan.

Were you ever psychotic? How would you describe that psychotic state? Was it similar to how someone is on weed? Like, making loose associations between ideas and jumping to conclusion faster, ideas looking more important and convincing than they are, etc?

Are you having any problems in your life? Can you describe this disorganization of speech better? I never understood the disorganized speech phenomenon so I am curious. Also, have u ever had delusions?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I've never took weed so don't know what that is like. I have been aggressive before, and yeah I have jumped to conclusions faster, obsessed over things etc.

I have the usual issues in my life. I have a bit of OCD and BDD. By disorganisation of speech I mean I used to be able to speak fluently in an oral fashion but now my though process seems slower and I have problems getting my words out. My psychiatrist said this is normal and a symptom of schizophrenia, particularly as people age. I can still type well etc because I have time to ponder my words, but trying to give a speech or something might be too much for me.

Not sure about delusions. I have felt like the world is against me at times, and have believed I get a rough deal from some people who I believe underappreciate me. That could be true, not sure it's a delusion. I get paranoid but as I say I am on meds and it controls most of my symptoms better. I just found it curious that I had never heard voices.

J

Justatheory

Did you ever ask for the opinion of other shrinks? Did you have any problems with speech before using meds? How long have you been on them and at what dose? What got you to seek help? The fact that you were experiencing paranoia?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I've never took weed so don't know what that is like. I have been aggressive before, and yeah I have jumped to conclusions faster, obsessed over things etc.

I have the usual issues in my life. I have a bit of OCD and BDD. By disorganisation of speech I mean I used to be able to speak fluently in an oral fashion but now my though process seems slower and I have problems getting my words out. My psychiatrist said this is normal and a symptom of schizophrenia, particularly as people age. I can still type well etc because I have time to ponder my words, but trying to give a speech or something might be too much for me.

Not sure about delusions. I have felt like the world is against me at times, and have believed I get a rough deal from some people who I believe underappreciate me. That could be true, not sure it's a delusion. I get paranoid but as I say I am on meds and it controls most of my symptoms better. I just found it curious that I had never heard voices.
It doesn’t sound like you have many psych symptoms that you struggle with. I feel like people are out to get me too but not in the sense of the Pentagon or random people on the street or celebrities. I usually end up getting used, exploited or treated poorly/victimized by other people. It’s not anything I have imagined but a reflection of reality. This seems to be the case for you as well.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Did you ever ask for the opinion of other shrinks? Did you have any problems with speech before using meds? How long have you been on them and at what dose? What got you to seek help? The fact that you were experiencing paranoia?
I'm 37 now and been in the mental health service since I was 19. I was originally sectioned because of my depression and outbursts. I have seen three different psychiatrists over the years and they all seemed to agree with the schizophrenia diagnosis.

I used to be on olanzapine and mirtazapine but had a problem taking them as I am bad with routine and didn't like the side effects. Since 2016 and 2017 respectively I have been on clopixol depot injection and fluoxetine. I noticed that my speech problems seemed to come on after my depot and made the connection, but my psych said it was simply small changes in the brain as I age.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
It doesn’t sound like you have many psych symptoms that you struggle with. I feel like people are out to get me too but not in the sense of the Pentagon or random people on the street or celebrities. I usually end up getting used, exploited or treated poorly/victimized by other people. It’s not anything I have imagined but a reflection of reality. This seems to be the case for you as well.
Yeah you're right. I do believe that (at the moment) my illness isn't as severe as other people's. When younger though I did have major problems with aggression, mood swings and depression. But my meds now control that.

Like you say feeling treated poorly by other people feels like a fact rather than a delusion. Although, ironically, since I have been medicated I have felt better treated by others. Maybe I have gained confidence and that confidence has made others more receptive to me?

J

Justatheory

I used to be on olanzapine and mirtazapine but had a problem taking them as I am bad with routine and didn't like the side effects. Since 2016 and 2017 respectively I have been on clopixol depot injection and fluoxetine. I noticed that my speech problems seemed to come on after my depot and made the connection, but my psych said it was simply small changes in the brain as I age.
Antypsichotics used to be called "major tranquilizers" cause that's what they are. They cause brain shrinkage and brain atrophy + countless other side effects. If you did not have this problem before the meds and you're just 37, it's probably because of them.

How do you feel without them? Is the paranoia is just too big to live without them?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Antypsichotics used to be called "major tranquilizers" cause that's what they are. They cause brain shrinkage and brain atrophy + countless other side effects. If you did not have this problem before the meds and you're just 37, it's probably because of them.

How do you feel without them? Is the paranoia is just too big to live without them?
I can still type well, my vocabulary is still there and I am still lucid and logical, it just feels like my thought process/speech is slower. I'm not surprised they cause brain atrophy. I do feel less clever than I used to be but I might be imagining that because the ability to talk quickly isn't always a signifier of intelligence.

I don't think I can cope without meds. I get really down, get paranoid and start obsessing over my appearance and comparing myself to other men. I also feel more aggressive and less serene.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I should also mention that I have twice had eating disorders due to pseudodysphagia (fear of choking) - in 2006 and 2013-early 2016. The meds have helped me get a grip on that and I can eat a lot better now.

J

Justatheory

On the long run, antypsychotics increase relapse rates and psychotic symptoms due to dopamine supersensitivization. In all long-term studies, recovery rates are way bigger for people who did not take them. This has sparked a big debate even inside psychiatry recently, many asking for a re-think of the "maintainence treatment" idea. You can also try switching to different meds or a lower dose. Only you can decide about the best ballance between benefits/downsides.

Why do you start obsessing about your appearence and comparing yourself with other man? Low self esteem + social isolation seems to be the most common elements that lead to psychosis. Are you having those 2 problems too? If so, how do you plan to solve them?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
On the long run, antypsychotics increase relapse rates and psychotic symptoms due to dopamine supersensitivization. In all long-term studies, recovery rates are way bigger for people who did not take them. This has sparked a big debate even inside psychiatry recently, many asking for a re-think of the "maintainence treatment" idea. You can also try switching to different meds or a lower dose. Only you can decide what the best ballance between benefits/downsides are.

Why do you start obsessing about your appearence and comparing yourself with other man? Low self esteem + social isolation seems to be the most common elements that lead to psychosis. Are you having those 2 problems too? If so, how do you plan to solve them?
Yeah I know. To be honest I would love to come off of my antipsychotic but I just don't know if it would be too high a risk for me. I hate the physical side effects as well (sexual problems, some tiredness, weight gain). My dose of clopixol is already pretty low - 200ml once every four weeks. It's a tough one.

I obsessed over my appearance due to being called ugly when younger (although I have been called good looking as well). It gave me a complex and low self-esteem, which made me obsess over how I look. I still do care about it to an unhealthy degree now but it is much more controlled with anti-depressants. I don't really have social isolation (Covid-19 circumstances excluded) as I play football two or three times a week and see one of the mental health workers once a week to talk about how I am doing. We go for a walk or a soft drink. So low self-esteem yes but I do okay in terms of socially. Not amazing but fine.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I'm 37 now and been in the mental health service since I was 19. I was originally sectioned because of my depression and outbursts. I have seen three different psychiatrists over the years and they all seemed to agree with the schizophrenia diagnosis.

I developed slurred speech and a difficulty coming up with words to speak with that turned out to be a result of too much lithium. My psych spent a few weeks adjusting my dosage downward and once we got the dosage right it went away.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I developed slurred speech and a difficulty coming up with words to speak with that turned out to be a result of too much lithium. My psych spent a few weeks adjusting my dosage downward and once we got the dosage right it went away.
That's good that you sorted it out. It did seem to happen once I started taking clopixol. I used to be a very fluent speaker. The thing is I am already on a very low dose as I said (200ml every four weeks, the highest I think is 600ml weekly).

I tried going to 150ml but felt fairly dodgy in terms of mood and stability even though it was only a small alteration.

J

Justatheory

That's great! Socializing reduces paranoia. Self esteem is hard to fix, but you can do it, same as you did with socializing! Don't know what to say about the obssesing over looks problem. I'm from Eastern Europe and like any men around here, I tend to obsess over money. You can be as fat as you want as long as you're rich around here lol. Ohers with better experience about this problem can give better advice.

The buddhist advice for this kind of problem is contemplating how this body is made out of flesh, hair, urine, internal organs, etc. A disgusting pile of matter. It will be eaten up by worms, even the bones will disintegrate and disappear at one point. No need to be attached to such an impermanent pile of crap. If you will not be attached to it, you won't give an F about it and will never be paranoid about it. I can't give an F about looks, but I do give a big F about money. You can end up the same or even better, not being attached to money either. Somebody who is not attached can not suffer, especially not to the point of having mild paranoia about it.

It's also good to remember that women don't care about man looks or money at all. That's like 30% of his sexyness combined. The rest is knowing that so called "secret" about how to speak with women. If you'll google it, half of the articles that come up are about that, it's quite popular and I can attest from personal experience that it works miracles and makes up at least 70% of your sexiness, looks + money making the rest.