• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is it triggering to discuss intense manic episode experience?

K

keith74

Hello all,
My wife has been going through an intense manic episode, but looks like it is starting to subside after getting on her meds. I'm starting to realize that my wife does not remember all the details, especially the psychosis part. They are really traumatic and I think she needs to know the details to understand what she puts people through.

My worry is that having to hear such details could be triggering, even if at her baseline? Is it bad to go in specific details? I actually have an audio recording of her screeching/screaming and saying vile things. But I'm afraid that if I play it for her, it will trigger her...

Zero One

Zero One

She has amnesia when she gets back to normal, wow that is serious. I have memory problems but for short term I can usually remember. I would say to ask her psychiatrist...just to be on the safer side.

K

keith74

I'm not saying she has amnesia. But she just doesn't seem to recall all the details. What she remembers can be a bit vague... and usually not as "intense".

R

Rex Smith

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's no positive outcome to play the recording for her episode. I'd talk to her psychiatrist to get their opinion on that recording.

K

keith74

Good idea Rex, to get her psychiatrist involved. The only reason why I am considering playing it for her is because she is in a bit of a denial of how bad it is. She glosses over the details and then gets irritated we (people who take care of her) overreact - which she really resents. When we explain how bad it is, she thinks we are exaggerating.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I would go ahead and play it back to her, even if it’s triggering. It is nice that you are being sensitive about her psyche and feelings but it sounds like she has been harming and damaging other people through her conduct. Regardless of what causes it this is something she must take responsibility for. While I often forget the details of my mania until months later some unpleasant truths are easily and conveniently forgotten. It is important that your wife fully understand how damaging her behavior is/has been so that she will take recommended measures to manage/control it. Hearing this will not kill her and should it upset her you will be there for her. I should say that you seem like an incredibly kind, patient, thoughtful and hopeful person to try your best to work with your wife through this process. I’m sure it’s not easy. She is beyond lucky to have your ongoing support. xo, j