• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it too much to ask??

Caitjinoy

Caitjinoy

Is it too much to ask to be able to come home after a log day of work and lay in my bed, uninterrupted, and watch a little T.V.?

But no, my sister loves to come into my room all the time uninvited and not leave when I tell her to. And then she proceeds with either "why do you hate me?" Or "but you said you wanted to talk/hang out." (Which I never said anything of the sort)

Why is it so hard to get a little personal space especially when I'm tired and irritable? :mad: why must she try and force me to expend my already drained supply of energy? When I CLEARLY don't want to.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I know its hard but when you get the chance, can you have a heart to heart with her. Explain what you mean, and perhaps come up with a compromise with her? Give her weekend rights or something? :)

S

Sam-91

Is it too much to ask to be able to come home after a log day of work and lay in my bed, uninterrupted, and watch a little T.V.?

But no, my sister loves to come into my room all the time uninvited and not leave when I tell her to. And then she proceeds with either "why do you hate me?" Or "but you said you wanted to talk/hang out." (Which I never said anything of the sort)

Why is it so hard to get a little personal space especially when I'm tired and irritable? :mad: why must she try and force me to expend my already drained supply of energy? When I CLEARLY don't want to.
In the good side, you have a sister that really cares about you, and cares how you feel towards her. She probably thinks that you'll be much more comfortable with her presence, because that's what she feels when you are around her.

If you want your own space, why don't you lock your room? That's what I do to prevent people from coming.

Caitjinoy

Caitjinoy

I would lock my room but my door doesn't have a lock. I live in an apartment (why the doors don't have locks is beyond me) She also does this thing where she doesn't knock and just barges into my room with no warning.

I know she cares about me, but I would appreciate it if she would at least listen to my pleas. I tell her I'm tired, I just got off work, I don't want to socialize I just want to rest. We can do stuff later. She pretty much ignores that. She fights it and plants her butt on my bed and only moves when she feels satisfied that I'm uncomfortable enough (ok not really, it's usually just until I bore her to death by being quiet and monotonous she doesn't want me to be uncomfortable as far as I know). It makes me anxious and stressed.

I don't know what else to do. I haven't talked to my therapist about it. Maybe I will next time I see him.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Firm boundaries are essential when living with others. I would suggest you just get a little lock, or a bolt inside the room and lock it! If she doesn't like it, well tough, she will have to live with it. Initially, she might kick and shout, but she will get used to the idea.

How old are you Caitjinoy and how old is she? If I know the ages, having brought up two children to adulthood, I can perhaps give better advice.

My daughter didn't bother with pleas - she would just yell! It made a lot of noise mind. You sound very nice to her.

Caitjinoy

Caitjinoy

I'm 19 she is 23, we are roommates away from home. I've tried everything from "hey can I have my room back?" To "get the hell out" a lot of the time she comes in when I'm not around and when I get home she's on my bed already. But maybe if I can find a cheap lock that will help.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
my family don't usually come in my room as i have made it clear it is my room and they are not allowed without my permission. my dad did a last week even though i told him not to and i just screamed at him. it is the only affective way with my family.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Other 22
Tamziie93 Other 6