• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it time to seek help?

M

marinasolo

Hello,

I am curious about what people did about seeking help. Did things get completely out of control before you decided that you needed to see someone? Or were you suspicious that something is not quite right in your behaviour and thought you might as well ask a professional?

I am asking because, I personally have not been diagnosed, but I fear that it is time I spoke to someone, only I'm not sure how to go about it...

Briefly, about me: I'm a 20 year old art student, recently had a serious depression phase but now OK.

I hope you can give me some advice, as I feel it's best to get this over and done with before things get worse....:confused:

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Hi and :welcome:
Everyone is different in ways they seek help. For some they willingly go and others it takes extreme measures until they are hospitalised. If you think you need help then if nothing is stopping you go for it :)

Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

Hi marinasolo,

I think that if you feel like you would benifit now from some help & support you should go and seek it now. Even if you are feeling ok now you can go and talk about things that you have been struggling with. I also spent a while trying to decide if I should speak with my GP and looking back now it might have been better if I had gone sooner. :unsure:

Hope things work out!:)

Angel;)

emski

emski

Hi Marinasolo and :welcome:

Personally I initially sought medical help from my GP for my symptoms, primarily insomnia. I had to have some time off work and the work's doctor suggested I do CBT. It wasn't until I did this course that I became more unwell, which I did not recognise myself (the therapist spotted I was behaving unusuaully). I was advised to have stay in hospital by the psychiatrist. Until this point I had not realised how extreme my moods were or how out of control my behaviour had become, because I was manic, and I was diagnosed bipolar.

My feeling is, is that if you think you need help, then seek it sooner rather than later

Let us know how you're doing :grouphug: