• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it the cause or a coping strategy?

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Does it cause mental illness or is it a coping strategy people employ to get away from reality?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member

Attachments

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I've come across several cases in my work where a clients mental health problems have been caused by taking cannabis. Very sad cases too. What's peoples experience with alcohol?

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I think its a chicken and egg thing, the chemicals in the synaptic cleft are delicate, you can mess them up by just not sleeping, so you can definitely mess them up with drugs/agonists. That said I have this sneaking suspicion that despite the negative attributes of illness, i.e. letting your hygiene go, not eating, not sleeping some people like being high (go figure). I know at least one person who feels he has to use amphetamine to give him a temporary high, as the neuroleptic medication he had administered intramusculalry means he is flat; he likes being high naturally as a result of his condition, or with amphetamine while medicated. Schizophrenic periods (and manic) can seem very like an elongated period of being high, to me at least.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I've come across several cases in my work where a clients mental health problems have been caused by taking cannabis. Very sad cases too. What's peoples experience with alcohol?

My ex was an alcoholic, even tho i tried to get him help The gp referred him to an addiction unit, but bcos he didnt drink as soon as he got up they wldnt admit him. He then went to AA but used them as an excuse to go out.

I wouldnt say he had a mental health problem as such, but i spose there must be a problem of some kind for him to harm his body and family. But is it a mental problem that causes the drinking:eek:r the drink that causes the problem.:confused:

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
In my case I've always enjoyed a drink, when the anxiety started I drank more to help ease the symptoms but soon learnt it was only temporary relief. Lately though I have been drinking more as I have really slipped back down the ladder. Also because I am so bored in the house in the evening. I recognize this problem can become destructive and aim to stop. I don't crave drink it seems though once I start around 9 pm I seem to think hey this feels good lets have some more. Im only on beer but still thats not an excuse, time to take a long hard look at myself I reckon.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
In many cases people with mh issues have been known to have alcohol problems from their teenage years.
All this does is to 'mask' over the mh problem and means it can take many many years for this to be recognized or even diagnozed.

D

Dollit

I drank to change the way my head felt because I had a mental health problem and then moved into drugs. Cannabis definitely screws you up big time if you have an existing problem. I think my abuses of substances exacerbated the mental health problem that started before the abuse did.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
It was very similar for me Dollit.

I abused alcohol for many years until I eventually gave it up through lot's of support my from GP and councellors.

I think that I always 'knew' that something else was amiss and as I said in another post,it took a long time to accept my illness.

We have a lot in common :)

D

Dollit

Yes we do have a lot in common (including impeccable taste in music). What irritated me was that for years I was told my mental health was due to my family circumstances (when it actually caused some of them), money troubles (yes, manic spending can cause money troubles), alcohol, drugs anything but listen to me. When they finally did listen it was an enlightened psych who said that people know what's wrong in their heads because its their head. I wish I'd moved to Bristol in my 20s, the healthcare is a lot better. :hug:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I think from what you've said before that the health care is very good in bristol.
I'm fairly happy with what's been happening in edinburgh,my medical friend has been very helpful over the past 2 years or so and the doctors have always been supportive,it could be a lot worse :)

D

Dollit

Once I realized the greater the effort that I made the better it would be I got to be able to handle things. Sometimes the medics would dare me to try something and I fought them over medication. But because they let me and allowed me to educate myself I've become a much better patient. I get quite a big input in that my opinions are always heard and considered. I talk to lots of med students and tell them I'm not typical and that people need care and consideration and they listen because their lecturers tell them I'm worth listening to. I wish I'd caught on earlier re the drinking and drugs but I'm coming up to 17 years clean and sober in a few weeks time and I'm so glad I kept it going. I've been clean and sober nearly as long as I drank and used. Never thought I'd be able to say that. :hug: xx

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Congratulations on the (almost) 17 years Dollit,that is some going !

:hug:

D

Dollit

Thank you Yakuza. I never thought I was going to get through the first two years they were so hard. The first 5 weeks I was working out my notice as a pub landlady and then there was the divorce and moved house about 3 times. But I kept on and here I am somehow... :)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I know how hard it is Dollit,it seems such a long time ago for me now-it was worth it !

I'm really glad that you are where you are now and able to express yourself so eloquently :hug: