• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it psychosis or no?

D

Dexamethasone

Hello everyone!
I have been suffering from anxiety, fear, Ocd symptoms for at least 4 years. ( I'm 21 years old ) The last year I've started feeling a little depressed as well. The thing is that I feel like I'm "hearing voices". It's exactly in the same volume like my thoughts but it comes unexpectedly random moments. It firstly started in bed when I was about to fall asleep 3 years ago but I did not expect it would also come when "I'm not sleeping". 2 Years ago for a short period I had the same problem but it suddenly stopped. I was feeling like I was hearing voices. Now I feel the same way and I have no idea what is wrong. I don't have any problem with my perception or behavior. Everything seems good but why Am I feeling this way? Is it just because of my anxiety level? Is it because of my thyroid ( I had a little bit higher 'tsh' ) ? Am I developing psychosis? I'm scared to see a doctor and I'm in really bad mood.. Thank you very much for your time and any advice/suggestion is appreciated!!

Mark_01

Mark_01

Welcome to the forum, Dexamethasone. You have to see a doctor if you want the answer to your question.

S

shotme

What are the voices saying and what effect do they have on you? as this will be very helpfull for someone assessing you.

D

Dexamethasone

Welcome to the forum, Dexamethasone. You have to see a doctor if you want the answer to your question.
Yea definitely but I don't want to be diagnosed with psychosis..

Mister.B

Mister.B

Psychosis is a scary thing, but that's mainly the stigma that is scary.

Most people experience psychosis at some point in their lives, and it may not be permanent for them.

Whether you do or don't have it, I wish you well and hope you get some answers.

D

Dexamethasone

What are the voices saying and what effect do they have on you? as this will be very helpfull for someone assessing you.
They say random words and they have no effect on me. What effect could they have since I know they're not real? It's just the fact that I'm scared every time it happens just because it's not a good "feeling" ..

D

Dexamethasone

Psychosis is a scary thing, but that's mainly the stigma that is scary.

Most people experience psychosis at some point in their lives, and it may not be permanent for them.

Whether you do or don't have it, I wish you well and hope you get some answers.
Thank you.. Usually people either with psychosis or schizophrenia don't even know what's wrong with them right? Am I the exception or I don't have it?!

Mister.B

Mister.B

I've been diagnosed with psychosis and I know I have it, but sometimes I don't and I think I'm a vessel for the supernatural.

Even now, I don't know which is true.

I think the line between reality and fiction can become blurred with psychosis but that doesn't necessarily mean you lose it completely and don't realise you're ill....Of course, some people do though.

Gajolene

Gajolene

There are many people with voices who know they have them, they have "insight" and high level intelligence and functioning, some are temporary and fully recoverable as well. There are many levels of psychosis and scitzophrenia types, writing down what you know and maybe involving a loved one or trusted friend to help you in writing down your symptoms that you may or may not be aware of as well, a psychiatrist would be better to consult than just your GP alone for a diagnoses into what your experiencing and to recieve the proper medications or other treatment options tailored to your specific needs.

fazza

fazza

Thank you.. Usually people either with psychosis or schizophrenia don't even know what's wrong with them right? Am I the exception or I don't have it?!
I have schizophrenia and I know when I am suffering from psychosis. I know my voices are not real and I know that people can't hear my thoughts. Insight in to psychosis is really good to have as you can ask for help before it becomes too late.

The bad thing about O.C.D you can become obsessed that you will become schizophrenic but it is just part of the O.C.D. You really need to get assessed by a doctor.

D

Dexamethasone

There are many people with voices who know they have them, they have "insight" and high level intelligence and functioning, some are temporary and fully recoverable as well. There are many levels of psychosis and scitzophrenia types, writing down what you know and maybe involving a loved one or trusted friend to help you in writing down your symptoms that you may or may not be aware of as well, a psychiatrist would be better to consult than just your GP alone for a diagnoses into what your experiencing and to recieve the proper medications or other treatment options tailored to your specific needs.
The fact that some people know they have psychosis is true but it has to do with the minority.
Moreover I don't have any other symptoms because like I said I'm completely conscious and normal so it is really hard for the doctor either to diagnose or predict the treatment.

D

Dexamethasone

I have schizophrenia and I know when I am suffering from psychosis. I know my voices are not real and I know that people can't hear my thoughts. Insight in to psychosis is really good to have as you can ask for help before it becomes too late.

The bad thing about O.C.D you can become obsessed that you will become schizophrenic but it is just part of the O.C.D. You really need to get assessed by a doctor.
Hello.. You have schizophrenia and you know you have it because you have started medications and treatment. Otherwise you would not be able to realize what is wrong with you, wouldn't you? I know it could be a "warning" for me ( maybe yes maybe no ) but in this case medication is the worst option.. for many reasons..
It has been 3 years without any problem since I last had these "symptoms".
Is there any light type of psychosis or something like that?
Thank you for your time!

SarahD

SarahD

Psychosis can occur with many conditions. Some people are aware (have "insight") when it happens, others don't or only do sometimes. Similar experiences can be caused even by extreme lack of sleep, or some physical illnesses. Some people can deal with it without medication. Some need medication.

If you have no symptoms and feel well, and those close to you agree you behave normally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to occur again.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've been diagnosed with psychosis and I know I have it, but sometimes I don't and I think I'm a vessel for the supernatural.

Even now, I don't know which is true
Do you think they both could be true? I feel this, that i am a vessel for the supernatural, (what i perceive for myself) but the latter could come from an outsider's perspective and the ones who establish labels.