• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it possible to live without medication?

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Will I be on meds for the rest of my life or can people manage BPD without medication?

I feel my meds don't do anything apart from give me side effects.

Is anyone on this forum off meds? How has it been for you so far? What are your opinions about medication such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, anti-anxiety and any other medications you may be taking? ✌

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lots of people stop medications eventually. Some are on them for a while, then manage to stop, then need them again a year or more later.

What does your doctor say?

I don't have BPD but i do try to keep on the lowest dose possible. Every 6 months i try to reduce mine, usually it doesn't go well but i like to try. I'm hoping one day i won't need to take any but i doubt that will be possible.

What are you taking?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
NHS says..

Medicine
Experts are divided over whether medicine is helpful. No medicine is currently licensed to treat BPD.

While medicine isn't recommended by National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines, there's evidence that it may be helpful for certain problems in some people.

Medicines are often used if you have another associated mental health condition, such as:

Mood stabilisers or antipsychotics are sometimes prescribed to help mood swings, alleviate psychotic symptoms or reduce impulsive behaviour.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Lots of people stop medications eventually. Some are on them for a while, then manage to stop, then need them again a year or more later.

What does your doctor say?

I don't have BPD but i do try to keep on the lowest dose possible. Every 6 months i try to reduce mine, usually it doesn't go well but i like to try. I'm hoping one day i won't need to take any but i doubt that will be possible.

What are you taking?
Hi Tawny 👋

I'm on quite low doses of my meds right now as I have been working with my psychiatrist to help me with side effects.

I'm on:

Quetiapine 200mg
Trazadone 300mg
Pregabelin 300mg

My psychiatrist has never mentioned coming off my meds completely. But that's what I would like eventually. I was just curious if it was actually possible to have a life without any meds ✌

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
300mg of Trazadone is the highest available. That's what I take. Horrible drug so many side effects for me. I find it very energy sapping too. I guess it affects different people in different ways. My psychiatrist kept saying theres no medication to help with BPD and yet my GP keeps prescribing me antidepressants which have more negatives than benefits. I've had 10 different antidepressants and honestly none of them have ever lifted my mood even slightly.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

300mg of Trazadone is the highest available. That's what I take. Horrible drug so many side effects for me. I find it very energy sapping too. I guess it affects different people in different ways. My psychiatrist kept saying theres no medication to help with BPD and yet my GP keeps prescribing me antidepressants which have more negatives than benefits. I've had 10 different antidepressants and honestly none of them have ever lifted my mood even slightly.
Oh, I didn't realize that was the max dose of trazadone. I one I hate is Quetiapine. Very unhealthy drug for me. I've been on many meds also but not one has been the miracle pill. That's why I am thinking what is the point if they don't change how I feel.

N

Nukelavee

If you don't mind my asking, what is each drug supposed to do for you.

those seem like super heavy doses, by the way. I take 112.5 of Venlafaxine, 7.5mg of Mirtazapine, .25mg of Rexulti.

Venlafaxine/Effexor is my anti-depressant. I take the Mirtazapine for the side effect - it helps me sleep. Rexulti acts as a mood stabilizer. On those doses, minimal side effects, and I feel decent most of the time.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

If you don't mind my asking, what is each drug supposed to do for you.

those seem like super heavy doses, by the way. I take 112.5 of Venlafaxine, 7.5mg of Mirtazapine, .25mg of Rexulti.

Venlafaxine/Effexor is my anti-depressant. I take the Mirtazapine for the side effect - it helps me sleep. Rexulti acts as a mood stabilizer. On those doses, minimal side effects, and I feel decent most of the time.
Pregabelin for general anxiety
Trazadone for depression
Quetiapine for mood, sleep and aid trazadone with my depression.

My Quetiapine was recently at 500mg, but I was getting severe side effects such as struggling to breath after taking it.

N

Nukelavee

Just my opinion, but I feel your doctor should consider adjusting your meds, and I don't mean an increase, I mean trying some different ones.

Seems counter-productive to take drugs to help you feel better, that make you feel bad due to heavy effects.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Just my opinion, but I feel your doctor should consider adjusting your meds, and I don't mean an increase, I mean trying some different ones.

Seems counter-productive to take drugs to help you feel better, that make you feel bad due to heavy effects.
I have tried to talk to her before about it but she can be very stubborn. I think some psychiatrist like to have that power over their patients. I will try convince her when I have my next appointment. I think it's about finding that balance between benefits and side effects with psych meds.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

It absolutely is about the balance.

What kind of side effects are you getting hit with?
I feel like they are melting my brain. I'm so much slower and not as sharp as I used to be before medication. I have no common sense, I always miss the point someone is trying to make. I take forever to make decisions and answer the simplest of questions. I'm so sorry if I offend anyone but I literally feel mentally retarded.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel like they are melting my brain. I'm so much slower and not as sharp as I used to be before medication. I have no common sense, I always miss the point someone is trying to make. I take forever to make decisions and answer the simplest of questions. I'm so sorry if I offend anyone but I literally feel mentally retarded.
You're not alone I get the same feeling from medication .

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

You're not alone I get the same feeling from medication .
It's good to know it's not just me. It causes me more mental health issues worrying about how people see me and how I present myself.