• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is it possible to live without medication EVEN WITH BPD??

M

MHFPokeplantz

I think Ive never seen a case closely, mainly without the mood stabilizers part (sorry if theres mispelling)

Is it possible to succeed in the LONG RUN without them, and still having a minimumly functional life?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I am not on medication. My first meds made my symptoms a lot worse. My second med helped, but I went off meds over 15 years ago. I had to continue to work on myself and decisions, but I was doing well and able to bounce back from set backs. Having struggles these past several months, but not choosing meds.

Still functional in terms of working and meeting my responsibilities. Struggling but still going.

How are you doing?

M

MHFPokeplantz

You have BPD?

About me Im not very functional, and my mood swings TOO MUCH, I kind of accepted it this way but it often still surprises me a lot, etc

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

You have BPD?

About me Im not very functional, and my mood swings TOO MUCH, I kind of accepted it this way but it often still surprises me a lot, etc
I was diagnosed with BPD. Some things fit. Sometimes I don't know.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

You have BPD?

Hi MHFPokeplantz,
Yes, I have BPD. Don't want to be misleading. Sometimes I feel confused when I am asked something or unready to answer. Though it more respectful to answer directly. My mood swings feel like too much as well and they slow me down significantly, but I haven't stopped. It's hard but possible. 💗

HLon99

HLon99

Although some people find medications such as mood stabilisers helpful as they can bring symptoms such as mood swings in BPD under control; there is no medication that can treat the core psychological symptoms of black and white thinking, fear of abandonment and splitting. The only established treatment for this is psychotherapy through DBT.

To answer your question, yes it is possible and even preferable to treat BPD with psychotherapy. However, this usually takes a long time and as such, in the stop-gap many people opt to use medications to control their symptoms in the short run. Whether you want to do this is entirely up to you; the important thing is that you commit to therapy in the long run.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Thanks for the replies, they re what I needed to know

M

MHFPokeplantz

Hi MHFPokeplantz,
Yes, I have BPD. Don't want to be misleading. Sometimes I feel confused when I am asked something or unready to answer. Though it more respectful to answer directly. My mood swings feel like too much as well and they slow me down significantly, but I haven't stopped. It's hard but possible. 💗
Can you keep work/job, even with the drastic swings? (Answer if you re ok with it)

Cause I cant, it sucks

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Can you keep work/job, even with the drastic swings? (Answer if you re ok with it)

Cause I cant, it sucks
Hi, I have. Mostly my most intense feelings happen at night or early mornings. It has happened at work and I have felt trapped and sick. I look up at the window and try to focus outside a few seconds. I keep lotion in my desk, and cold water and altoids in my bag. Taking a few altoids and drinking really cold water right after helps to distract me. I can't stop when I am at work. I am a teacher. Fortunately, my deepest mood swings don't happen at work. When they do, it is not related to what happens in the classroom so that helps. I feel my best and most sensitive when with the children. I love teaching. Unfortunately, I have had a few minor breakdowns with coworkers and am lucky to have been forgiven. One didn't speak to me for over two years. That was very uncomfortable, but I couldn't change what had already been done/ said.
I have had really dark moods since I was 6 years old. They started getting worse when I was 12. Maybe it feels like such a part of me l keep going as someone would with an injury except it can't be seen or explained. When I was 6 and got hit with a mood, I would put my head down and stop working. not functional. When asked what was wrong I could only explain. I am not feeling well. This made some people angry because they thought I was wasting time. I remember being afraid of the school nurse, because she hated seeing me in the office and yelled at me. My teacher in first grade was different. She was kind and even visited my home. With some I got lost. With some, an extra kind word, paper for me to draw on, a cookie to say I know your hurt is real helped. I welcome all of my children. I am there for them and I even learn from them still. This probably helps significantly for me to function at work. 💗

M

MHFPokeplantz

Thats great, and seems you found a work that really does good to you and you can perform a better version of you

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I haven't had a lot of jobs. I started teaching right after college. I had fears that I would not be able to keep a job. I even had others express doubt, sometimes in a joking way, but there was a serious warning to the joking. I had doubts that I would make it through college. I finished in 4 years.

My first job in high school, I was great the first 3 weeks, a reliable favorite, then I couldn't concentrate or function and got fired.

My freshmen year in college was very difficult. I struggled through emotionally. I contemplated suicide. Disappeared a few days. Was sure I would be fired from my work study job. I wasn't. I kept working. I remember feeling well most of sophomore and junior year. Then started having trouble functioning. My supervisors at work called me in one day and asked me if I were trying to lose my work study job. Wanted to know if I still wanted it and what was going on. I was able to keep my work study.

I have been fortunate in many ways. I think that you might find that while not easy, it's possible and once in a while you will find help from kind people who care.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Its true, sometimes it seems its needed some heavenly people 😕