• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it possible to go into a remission for this long?

Pink

Pink

Just over 9 years ago, I got my first diagnosis of schizophrenia. The diagnosis changed to schizoaffective and then finally to bipolar. But as I do not feel I have bipolar, I do sometimes wonder if the first diagnosis I recieved is correct. I have not had a psychosis though, since the first one over 9 years ago.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Have you ever had mania or hypomania? If so, you have schizoaffective or bipolar. Yeah, you can go without having a psychotic episode for many years, especially if you're on antipsychotics.

Pink

Pink

The psychiatrists say I have hence the change of dx. But I believe it's more anxiety. Hard to say.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m diagnosed schitzoaffective after various others that ive been diagnosed with. I was told with the psychosis some people only ever have one episode in their life . Ive had three but nothing in about ten years tho i still have anxiety and depression. It could be that you never have another episode but when i asked if that means that i dont have it anymore i was told that i will always have that diagnosis even if i never have another psychotic break

J

jed

Diagnosed schizophrenia in early 80s during psychotic break.Medicated and have led normal life ever since working etc

L

linus

@jed are you still using meds? for that long time? If so can you tell me what med and what daily dosage are you on?

J

jed

@jed are you still using meds? for that long time? If so can you tell me what med and what daily dosage are you on?
I have been on sulpiride since '83.I am a woman and already had children.It is not suitable for men or women who haven't had children because it causes high prolactin.I was very lucky.I believe there would be another med that would suit me if I tried enough of them.Keep trying till you find the right one is what I would always advise.

J

jed

I have been on sulpiride since '83.I am a woman and already had children.It is not suitable for men or women who haven't had children because it causes high prolactin.I was very lucky.I believe there would be another med that would suit me if I tried enough of them.Keep trying till you find the right one is what I would always advise.
One 200mg tablet a night.

W

Worriedyin

Diagnosed schizophrenia in early 80s during psychotic break.Medicated and have led normal life ever since working etc
Wow, a success story! What brings you to the forum?

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I had eight years free from admissions due to meds only got readmitted when I started drinking heavily regularly and it stopped the meds from working, since then I've had another eight years without an admission, I still have paranoid and anxious thoughts but they are thoughts no need to believe them. I either rationalise them or use mindfulness to deal with them.