• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it possible to date and have depression?

B

biggerdandy

I'd like to ask if it's possible to have a romantic relationship whilst dealing with depression and anxiety. I ask this because I'm honestly considering getting into one, but I'm not sure about certain things to do/not do (I dont have much dating experience to begin with). Stuff like 'when's it good to tell them,' what sort of things to avoid doing or not doing.

I have too many regrets and missed oppertunities on my plate. I don't want this to be another missed oppertunity and I'm going to at least try and see where things go. There's someone specific I know Ive been dying to ask out but shes been in another country for a few months on a student exchange program through the uni we're both at (though we've stayed in touch the whole time). I found her quite soothing to be around when my depression first flaired up and honestly, being around this person made me feel I had more reserves of energy before I would get low, like i could fight the depression and anxiety better. I at least want to try, but I am bracing myself because of my concerns

S

Sam-91

Does she know about your depression? Does she know what you're suffering from? If she knows you really well, and knows your suffering, and what you're going through, then its fine.

But if you're trying to hide it, then I don't think that's a smart choice.

" being around this person made me feel I had more reserves of energy before I would get low, like i could fight the depression and anxiety better. "

That's a sign of low self-esteem, which I personally think is much worse for a relationship than depression.

Depression isn't a game-changer in a relationship, it's a concern.
But low self-esteem is a game-changer, and might effect your relationship negatively.

PS: If interested, shoot me a PM, I'll study your case and will give you a more detailed advice about it.

U

unique86

ive had depression and social anxiety since i was 12 im now 29 im in a relastionship which ive been in nearly 4 years. ofcourse you can date with these health problems
we have every right to be happy :)

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

I've been with my boyfriend nearly 4 years, and he stayed with me right through it and it was him who begged and convinced me to get counselling. He didn't know how to help when I opened up to him, and he didn't always understand but he's still here. :)
It's how well you work together, not who the people are or what they're going through.

B

biggerdandy

Does she know about your depression? Does she know what you're suffering from? If she knows you really well, and knows your suffering, and what you're going through, then its fine.

But if you're trying to hide it, then I don't think that's a smart choice.

" being around this person made me feel I had more reserves of energy before I would get low, like i could fight the depression and anxiety better. "

That's a sign of low self-esteem, which I personally think is much worse for a relationship than depression.

Depression isn't a game-changer in a relationship, it's a concern.
But low self-esteem is a game-changer, and might effect your relationship negatively.

PS: If interested, shoot me a PM, I'll study your case and will give you a more detailed advice about it.
She doesn't know, I haven't actually had this conversation with anyone.

I'm not sure if feeling less anxious and low in the sign of anothers company is necessarily low self esteem, Im usually on edge and anxious around people I like, so I find it pleasant to not feel like Im choking around someone all the time.

Study my case? What do you mean