• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it possible to carry your anxiety with you into sleep(hypnic jerks) if you don't first decompress and calm down before bed?

J

jjaybrazil

I've noticed that if I'm calm 2 hours before I get into bed
i'm relatively calm and can sleep with few ectopics, heart palps, racing thoughts
or uneasiness.
However I find that when I get into bed straight from a long, stressful day full of anxiety
and I haven't done anything to mediate it before bed
I get hypnic jerks, like just as I'm falling a sleep, I get this sweeping anxiety jolt
all over my body followed by some heart palpitations, this causes me to wake up or breath
hard and then it's normal. Then I try to fall asleep again. then just when I'm getting knocked out
the same jolt of anxiety, almost like a chemical rush goes into my body and I feel super anxious,
get the heart palps, jerk a bit and wake up.Eventually I fall asleep.
Anyone ever experience this? Is it true that if you did solve this its becuase you worked out, did yoga,
mindful meditation, maybe smoked a joint before going to bed or a few hours before calmed yourself down ?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I used to get this many years ago. It also lead to terrible dreams where I tried to wake up but was paralysed by sleep. It came before a breakdown in my case but I am not saying that is true for you. I just went to the doctor and got pills for my experience as I didn't even think of meditation. I think you are far wiser than me in doing that and doing something to decompress first. I never smoke dope as I always get sick on it.

Faith198

Faith198

Yes I use to get that while I was falling asleep. I’d get panic attacks in the middle of my sleep too. Sounds similar to what you’re experiencing. You could try meditating and breathing exercises, but for me I needed the meds.

J

jjaybrazil

Okay thanks. I don't like meds, chemicals or drugs
I'm on cannabis with cbd oil dominant strains and it's working
just not as much at night though but I think it will once
I complement it with my own mind shift a few hours before.