• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

is it normal

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

to never want to go and see the doctor and tell all your problems to your only child instead

how do you convince someone to see a doctor? when they are adamant they are not going and never goes to the doctors ever

pepecat

pepecat

I'm sure there are quite a few people who don't like going to the doctors - they don't want to feel like a burden and stuff like that.
But, telling you stuff isn't really fair....... Maybe you could gently say to her that you can't deal with this stuff and she needs to go and talk to someone else about it all - even if it's not face to face but anonymously over the phone or something.

Keeping stuff 'in the family' all the time, whilst understandable, can make things worse - especially if there's only the two of you. It can get all entagled with other 'stuff' ( I don't mean negative stuff) - just the fact that you're mother and daughter is going to affect things.

Is there anyone else who could talk to your mum and see if she could talk to a doctor or counsellor - someone who knows what's going on - liaison officer, or friend of the family or something?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

thanks peps :hug:

im not sure she would talk to anyone else but perhaps i can ask other people to have a chat with mum and see what happens as i cant do this anymore

N

notrealname

My Mam was like that and she would go into a rage when I gave her 'logical' advice (as a kid this was, not as an adult). 'My abusive, alcoholic boyfriend is upsetting me and stealing my money', 'Leave him', 'You don't understand love! Why don't you care about me?!'

Anyway, yeah, that shit will damage you in the end. Make it clear that you are not your mum's therapist. You can be nice about it, but try to make her see how it effects you. Maybe you could offer to go to the doctor's with her and pass her on to the professionals?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

thanks that makes sense notrealname x

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K I wish I could be normal. Most of the time, I wish I could be someone else. Depression Forum 6
lifecangetbetter I really wish i was normal Depression Forum 29
Hardknocks88 New normal depression Depression Forum 1
D boyfriend going out for countless hours normal? Depression Forum 33
T Is it normal for depression to make you distant? Depression Forum 5
8tok What do you think is "normal" in children? Depression Forum 5
Y What's normal/happy feelings? Depression Forum 1
S Difference between severe depression and normal depression? Depression Forum 18
B wishing I could just be normal Depression Forum 10
C Is it normal for people with depression to only push away one person? Depression Forum 3
A Encephalitis after effects normal Depression Forum 2
C Is this normal for depression? Depression Forum 2
R Ridiculous question - what is normal in a depressed partner? Depression Forum 1
N Is this normal? Depression Forum 5
F Is it normal to hide behind a smile? Depression Forum 12
nickybow86 What is normal anyways ?? Depression Forum 4
LanaDelReyForever Is it normal? Depression Forum 4
tigerfish Is this normal? Depression Forum 1
N Is this normal? Depression Forum 2
N Are these kind of mood swings just normal? Depression Forum 21
A Is this normal? Stressed and depressed about it Depression Forum 4
freshstart2016 Is This Normal? Depression Forum 2
L Is it normal to feel like I used to be someone else in the past who died and now that consciousness is inhabiting another body? Desperate to get to th Depression Forum 2
P Day 7 of Prozac 20mg and I haven't felt this bad in a long time - is this normal? Depression Forum 1
D Is it Normal? Depression Forum 2
J I don't feel anything towards my mother. Is this normal? Depression Forum 1
2 Is it depression or normal teenage behaviour (hormones) Depression Forum 2
L Feeling terrible - Can anyone tell me this is normal? Depression Forum 3
M Is It Normal? Depression Forum 35
H Is it normal for a NHS psychiatrist to go off and deliberate? Depression Forum 5
Sharyhn Is this normal Depression Forum 5
M Hearing voices & having visual hallucinations. Is this normal for someone with MDD? Depression Forum 3
lostgirl19 Is this normal? :( Depression Forum 119
R struggling back to normal Depression Forum 4
P not sure if this is normal? Depression Forum 4
N I thought this was normal Depression Forum 2
P Is this normal? Depression Forum 4
B Mood swings? Is this normal Depression Forum 2
N 'Normal' lack of energy for depression? Depression Forum 4
moyet Depression being replaced by anxiety and anger - is this normal? Depression Forum 3
P ugh. is this normal.. depression SUCKS. its like a bad smell... you can never get rid of it!!! Depression Forum 3
J Wondering if I really have depression, or it's the 'normal' ups and downs of life? Am I paranoid? Depression Forum 10
S Concerned for a friend - is this normal?? Depression Forum 3
D I'm feeling good...is this normal? Depression Forum 4
scaredANDbroken is it normal... Depression Forum 7