• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it normal to be seeing a different psychiatrist at every appointment even though I specifically request to see the same doctor?

S

sunflowerxx

I'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist every month for my depression and anxiety, and I just went for my 5th appointment. It was the same psychiatrist (doc A) for the first two appointments but subsequently I've been seeing two other different psychiatrist because my original psychiatrist was on vacation (1st change, doc B), some hospital system issue so I was assigned to doc B again, and assigned to doc C for my latest appointment because A was on medical leave.

I was told that my next appointment will be in 2 months time since the medicine is working well and was told that I'll be assigned to see doc A but to be honest, I don't really feel that I can trust what they said.

Having a different psychiatrist may seem like a small issue or I'm probably kicking up a fuss over nothing and I know it beyond doc A/my control over the latest appointment but every time I walked into the room and see a different doc, I feel very guarded and can't seem to share my feelings and thoughts with them honestly.

wollie

wollie

I think it is wrong you seeing different phycs, my phyc is based nearby so I see him most, but becaus Im going onto hospital I am seeing a different phyc,
It is difficult to recant all you have said to the first phyc to the second, you need them to know you and your history, I dont really trust phycs becaus the cant fully understand what one is going through.

K

Keesha

The way things are currently in the world today, this shouldn’t be such a surprise. There is a pandemic going on. Once this pandemic settles down, I’d talk to your medical staff and inquire whether you could see only one doctor at a time. All you can do is ask or switch services.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I guess when your usual doctor is on holiday or leave then whoever is available fills in. it is not ideal, but the alternative would be to see if you can wait until Doc A is available again or to move to be under another doctor and hope that is better.