• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it moral?

B

belmo

Is it moral to claim benefits if someone could possibly do some work?
I think I'm getting better. But I'm not sure of myself. I have problem getting up in the morning but is that an excuse? Someone here told me that I'm harsh on myself. Yes I am. There are employing now in the facory I mentioned before. And I can not make the decision. maybe because the facory is 20 miles away and I would have to rely on the train. There is a problem with the train on Sunday when it comes really late. I would have to buy a car quickly but the word "quickly" scares me a bit. What is your opinion? Maybe I should take some more time before thinking of applying for any job? Maybe buy a car first?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Belmo, you are claiming benefits because you are struggling. There is nothing wrong with that. It is impossible for us to work when we are unwell. I am sad you feel shame about claiming benefits. There are there for people like us who are unable to work.

B

belmo

Belmo, you are claiming benefits because you are struggling. There is nothing wrong with that. It is impossible for us to work when we are unwell. I am sad you feel shame about claiming benefits. There are there for people like us who are unable to work.
No I don't feel shame dear bpd2020. I'm scared that one day someone will decide that my claim was fraudulent because I'm literally not on my death bed. I'd like to be happy. I have difficulty to relate to others. I bacame a weirdo. Sometimes i think about myself as a monster. God knows what other kind of thoughts go throug my mind. Thank you for reply.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Umm I've read that as long as you are hearing voices or experiencing delusions, you definitely have the right to not go to work if you wish to. You can still get a job though if you feel you can manage one too. 👍

B

belmo

Umm I've read that as long as you are hearing voices or experiencing delusions, you definitely have the right to not go to work if you wish to. You can still get a job though if you feel you can manage one too. 👍
Everyday I go to the park and each time there are people near me talking, I think they talk about me. It happens often and only in the park. Is that delusion? I never used these kind of words. I hear voices often.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

please don't feel bad for being on benefits x i have been half of my life my cmht agree i need benefits ,if you didn't need them you probably wouldn't be getting them x

B

belmo

Everyday I go to the park and each time there are people near me talking, I think they talk about me. It happens often and only in the park. Is that delusion? I never used these kind of words. I hear voices often.
in the park I look their way and check those people, nothing suspicious, then again I look at them and again and again...once I got even little angry!

B

belmo

please don't feel bad for being on benefits x i have been half of my life my cmht agree i need benefits ,if you didn't need them you probably wouldn't be getting them x
Fairy Lucretia I need words like this. Seriously I,ve been pranoid that someone in DWP will decide one day :"ok, now we will get this guy"

L

Lab rat

I think most of us dread being labelled ‘fraudulent’ because our disabilities can’t be seen. Doesn’t mean it’s not there. My attitude is ‘if I’m not sick, I don’t need the meds’ then we’ll see whether I’m sick or not.

I’m currently working, on a short term contract. But after that I’m back to benefits. Does that mean I’m well enough to work? Depends entirely on the type of work, some jobs I’m suitable for, others not.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia I need words like this. Seriously I,ve been pranoid that someone in DWP will decide one day :"ok, now we will get this guy"
they are not out to get you
i have felt that in the past but i have recently changed to universal credit and all the DWP people were lovely to me ,i think you will find the majority just want you to get the award you deserve x
you deserve your benefits ,you will continue to get them for as long as you are poorly x