• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it me or is it them .....

Unique1

Unique1

I had a bad episode of depression around 18 months ago. Since then I have cut a lot of people out of my life, I fear they will judge or ridicule me, or try to bully me into the 'snap out of it' thing..I am aware that due to my feelings I can be over sensitive to situations. The thing is I acknowledge i I have a problem but so many people are uncaring or judgemental, and quick to want to gossip, it's difficult to know if it's me or them, how much of my illness is actually down to people not being nice...my views are distorted because I accept my problems, although I must admit I do feel justified in not bothering with these people. I guess the problem is that initially everything seems/seemed ok, then when I find out what certain people are truly like I don't want to know, and this is what causes the problem as I back off, and to a point I can understand people then feel aggrieved because they wonder what's wrong. I usually back off when they start talking nastily about others or being overly prying.i try to do it in a diplomatic sort of way, gradually, but I guess they still notice.......I have resorted to being very cautious now about bothering with anyone...
In my experience on the rare occasion I have been honest about my MH issues I have felt vulnerable, and unfortunately have found peole use it against me, ie...oh she's got a mental illness,therefore its my fault :(

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I would say it's them, to be honest. :hug:

It's easy to doubt yourself and question if you've being "too sensitive", but ultimately if you don't feel supported or accepted for who you are by people around you, you don't need them in your life.

Friendships can become difficult when you've got mental health issues - I know I struggle with them and i'm sure lots of people here know how it feels. It can become isolating, which obviously isn't good for your mood.

The thing is to try and find more caring people who you'd feel more comfortable spending your time with.

Unique1

Unique1

Thank you somersetScorpio for your response. ��

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My views may be distorted but when i find a friendship is all take take take i have no qualms in shutting them out my life forever! Shame on them and its their loss as i know i always give more than I ever receive.
I hope that you aren't too disheartened by cutting these insensitive gossips out your life but if that's how they are you are better off without!
Onwards and upwards :)

Q

quietsecret

Definitely them not you in the slightest! I think people just enjoy gossip (malicious sometimes too). I don't feel comfortable with it either and generally keep quiet or leave when the conversation turns to mean gossip. I'm sooty I don't really have advice except that You are not alone in how you feel and I hope you have a great day

E

Elle-X

Hi Unique1, I have always felt the same way - things start off great with people and then the bitching starts and the safest thing to do is back away for your own peace of mind. I came to the assumption a few years ago when things turned into a witch hunt with some old school 'friends' that I would sooner be friendless than hang out with spiteful and inconsiderate people. Of course, not everyone is like that but I have a few really good friends who I wouldn't trade for a million bad ones.

Unique1

Unique1

Thank you wildflower.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I guess my only problem is I end up avoiding them and it stops me wanting to go out in case I see them. I can't be doing with the confrontation of it all.
But you are right it's their loss and onwards and upwards!!

Unique1

Unique1

Glad to know I'm not alone Elle-x

Thanks for response ��