• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it ever possible for others to hear your voices?

SarahD

SarahD

I was reading a thread a while ago where someone was describing how someone tried to record voices. There were lots of comments, mainly about psychiatrists. What I wanted to know was, did it work? I didn't like to ask...

I read somewhere else a theory that it could be possible with sophisticated equipment.

Mental Health services are using a new remote monitoring system in my flat and I wondered if they can pick up the voices. Has anyone else had this done to them?

F

firemonkee57

If voices are truly inner speech misattributed as coming from an external source(though how does that explain internal hallucinations ?) would any machine be able to pick anything up?

SarahD

SarahD

Yes I was thinking about external voices, although I have had both.

People do have lots of theories about where the voices come from. I did use to think my voices originated from me, but I am not so sure now. It is just that none of the theories seem exactly right. Maybe there is more than one source.

Psychological view lately - caused by trauma. Psychiatric view - you are nuts have some drugs.

Some say it is telepathy, but I thought that was communication between minds, which I suppose could explain internal voices.

Then there is superior life force of some sort, but then why do they say such stupid things? And why would they want to cause harm? Unless it was malevolent life force, like aliens perhaps. Then there is the government forces/targeted individual stuff, which I don't know ... I guess there are as many explanations as people.

I sometimes think mental,health services are doing this to me.

Kerome

Kerome

I think it's very unlikely SarahD, I tried with various recording equipment including a phone and a decent microphone and got nothing, despite having external voices at the time.

E

Eigau

There is rudimentary mind reading tech that they are currently using for google glass and various prosthetic devices. The tech could be modified to hear voices.

For the test I would start with isolating thought patterns, by first recording your brain while reading out loud then recording it while reading in your mind. If you hear a voice narrating your thoughts, there would need to be another step that isolates your thoughts from that of the voice.

Tests have been done already and the tech does work, but time is needed to develop it more. Whether there is enough interest in the science community to build a device specifically for locating and isolating voices, I don't know. Would be great if there was.

Last edited:
D

Deliah

It's not possible for them to be heard. They are of your own mind and can't be heard by anyone but you. Hope that helps. They may feel very separate to you but they are your own creation, no one else will be aware of them. love to you D xxx

L

LM1974

It's not possible for them to be heard. They are of your own mind and can't be heard by anyone but you. Hope that helps. They may feel very separate to you but they are your own creation, no one else will be aware of them. love to you D xxx
I do not agree with the part where you say "they are your own creation". It has not been proven whether voices are or are not from an external source.

bluemoon2

bluemoon2

My voices are different. They usually come from real sources such as hearing neighbours having a conversation from behind a thin wall and my inner voices twisting it around to make me think they are talking about me. I have only been able to record and catch the muffled sounds of the real voices to prove to psychiatrists I'm hearing 'real voices' but I can never catch my inner voices that are so convinced I am being spoken about.

L

Lucky2015

I tried to record the voices when I first started to hear auditory hallucinations, but as they are manifestations of the mind, it is impossible to record them.

I think it has helped me to acknowledge that the it is only me that can hear the voices and they are only real to me! It has helped me to manage the voices and to stay "well".

E

Eigau

On the news last night they showed electrodes attached to a student. They were recording brain waves and passing them through software that would interpret the brain waves into sounds. It's more art than science but, brain activity can be recorded and interpreted through software already. We are just not at a point where the software can interpret the information into thoughts or words. But it is not impossible, it is within our scope.