• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

is it depression or just me

S

slow jo

Founding Member
Hi, not sure where to begin, I have suffered with "depression" for 3yr's now, iam not sure if i have depression or if it is just how i am. I feel that although i am breathing i am not living if you know what i mean, today i have done nothing but cry don't know why just can't think of a thing i want from life. When will i feel like my old self?? It's as if this is my life from now on, and not one that i want. it doesn't matter how hard i try this is it all i can think is is there a better life on the other side??

D

Dollit

Have you been to see your GP and talked about this? That's a good place to start and there are a lot of people, myself included, who understand what you're feeling. It's more common than you think. Talk to us and we'll offer you our own experience and support to find your way through but do talk to your GP too and family and friends if that's possible. :welcome:

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hey,

Its really hard somtimes differenitating the wo, I regualrly feel that maybe I am just this way and I am destined to be deppressed. But i have the occasional glimour where i feel normal and dont have bad thoughts and negative feelings. I have often thought about ending it all and still regualry have thoose thoughts but learning to cope with them rather than trying to get rid f them is my new plan. Hopefully one day they may go. Hope this makes some sense:innocent:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Have you been to see your GP and talked about this? That's a good place to start and there are a lot of people, myself included, who understand what you're feeling. It's more common than you think. Talk to us and we'll offer you our own experience and support to find your way through but do talk to your GP too and family and friends if that's possible. :welcome:

She's said it all as usual :). But I will add my own :welcome:.

Nick.

S

slow jo

Founding Member
thanks for your replies, I don't want to bother my gp with all this he is really supportive but i know that he must be getting really sick of me and strike me off his books. I am in alot of physical pain from other problems that i have and it just seems it's one thing after another
sorry i sound so me me me all the time i just can't think straight, i find it so hard to talk about whats in my head i know that my family wouldn't understand it how can they when it doesn't make any sense to me.
anyway thank you for letting me ramble on adout nothing iimportant when there r others that need your support

jo

D

Dollit

Your GP would have to have a very good reason other than the fact that you need to visit him to strike you off his books. Treating patients is his job.

If being depressed is affecting your life then it isn't unimportant and besides, who we offer support to is up to us and the offer is there. :)

S

slow jo

Founding Member
thank you you are so kind, i am sitting here crying again just don't know what to do the meds don't help my husband thinks i don't take them as this is now the 3rd one i have tried am now on prozac they all seem to work for a few months then wear off i have this problem for my physical problems too, i just read Scarlettts post and she seems to of said nearly everything that i wanted to but can't find the words for without sounding stupid, my kids are the best but i don't deserve them, they are 15 and 13 both girls i feel like i use them all the time, because i am physically disabled they help me out so much and they do things that kids shouldn't have to do. this really makes me upset, I know they will hate me later when they are older ican't bear that. here i go again talking cr*p sorry thanks again
jo

D

Dollit

You're not talking crap Jo you're talking your feelings and they're really important. Some people are pretty resistant to anti depressants and anti depressants can take quite a while to kick in. If you have physical disabilities and you're depressed the physical illness won't help the depression will it? Keep talking to me. :hug:

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
Hello Jo,
It doesn't sound like 'just me' to me, but more like depression. Have you just seen your GP so far for meds etc.? Is there any chance that you could be referred to your local mental health team for assessment? They should then monitor your meds and adjust them as necessary. You might also be able to get some therapy or support groups. Try looking your lacal team up on the net to get some idea.
Take care whatever happens,
:hug:

S

slow jo

Founding Member
I am under the CMHT at the moment and have been since things started to go wrong,(3yrs ago) I did have 2 really supportive care co-ordinators, the first 1 left and sadily the 2nd one died, that was over a yr ago and since then not much support from them i have a new care co- but haven't seen much of her she said 2 months ago she would ring me in a couple of wks but she hasn't. don't like to ring as they are busy just feel that i have been left to it really and now my thoughts are getting out of control don't want to tell my gp as i know he will want me to go back into hospital just want to sleep for a while till it's over thank you for listening to me it's good that there are people like you here.

Jo

T

telemetry9

If you can find a local support group for people who have depression - these places can be wonderful. They are run by people who have or had depression in the past and they can be invaluable.
It can take 3 or 4 visits to feel comfortable but you will find the people there will have similar experiences to your own and will be able to offer news ways and ideas of how to cope with your illness, or they will simply be able to understand.
I can't emphasize enough how great these support groups can be. If you google something like : "depression support group in (your area)" - you might find something. But I know that a support group exists in every large town in Scotland and Northern Ireland (so it might be the same in England and wales).
I should also say that they try to keep these groups to below 7 people because they understand how large groups of people can be a problem in itself for some of us. My group averages about 5 people and the people are very sensitive and considerate to newcomers.

all the best
robert.