• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

is it bipolar ???? does this sound familiar ?

S

shelly

I have been depressed since the end of feb this year, but before that was on a massive high not sleeping feeling full of energy and doing lots of exercise and loving my job. my dad was manic depressive, but he died when I was a baby so I don't know much about his illness apart from the fact he was in hospital at one point.
Is it possible to have bipolar and be depressed for 5 months?? My depression has been really bad but im managing to remain at work. my head is constantly racing sometimes just with random thoughts? I feel like I could just sit their all day and just think??? Everyday seems like hours because my head is full of so many thoughts. Tonight I did the shopping and felt like I had been in the shop for hrs strange or what. Mornings are the worst I hate getting out of bed.

Im finding it hard to have conversations because i can't concentrate. I am avoiding people and feel anxious all the time?? I go from one thing to another and then forget what I'm doing?? Feel like im going crazy!

I was ment to see the doctor tonight but she got called away to an emergency and I couldn't wait because i had the kids and didn't know how long she would be. Im on sertarline and i don't know if its making me any better my hubby says im more depressed and aggressive? i was on citalapram 20mg and it did nothing, I thought antideppresants made people with bipolar high??? Please does this sound familiar to anyone please tell me im not crazy and there is a genuine reason for me feling like this I feel so alone right now and it hurts. :(

O

OBIWAN

hi

Hi there,Yes citraplam 20mg I was taking that and it did nothing for me neither,before that some doc put me on sertiline 50mg megs I think thats where my downfall was ,made me deffently more aggresive and anxtious,so I came off them as well.At the moment Im on no medication,am seeing a phycharistrist soon,its took me 18 months so far and still am on a shorter waiting list bloody ridiculous.When I first had my episode I had suicide voiceas in my head,on repeat,didnt know what was going on,I was scared as hell,tight band like head ache round the head.Now im a little better but its just moods and talking to people,feel like I have know time to talk,Im going on one now I'll stop there.As for the medication ask your doctor about them

S

shelly

Hiya

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply it ment alot, I have been looking every day to see if anyone felt similar. Im not doing too good but struggling on at work. Only a few days left I just hope I can hold it tog till then. I hope your doing ok and you have had a nice day. Shelly x

O

OBIWAN

Hello again

My day hasnt been to bad thanks,I work full time as well and find it a struggle evry day especially the communication with people,think i've come to the conclusion that I have schizophrenia I will mention this to my psych when I see him/her.You see my mother has paranoid schizophrenia and she had a simalar breakdown round about the same age,unfortunately she thinks nothing wrong with her,ive never been the same since I had mine any how take care of yourself,bye

S

shelly

hey

Hope you have had a good day, I couldn't wait to leave work I have been feeling so anxious all day, got to go and do the food shopping as well which I hate doing. Concentrating is really hard:( I usually come home and I have forgot most of what I need! Never mind.
What work do you do ??? Have you got friends you can talk to ???

O

OBIWAN

Yer

I work in a foundry which is very hard work physicall y but its good for me.Have worked in various jobs before my break down,selling loans,vet receptionist,mobile phone repaier but now iv'e changed I cant really deal with people for a very long time as my levels of stress rocket,I have 2 brothers and a couple of friends,but talking about these things with people you know can be hard.I used to be looking back at things a head of the game but now it feels like im stuck on the outside of the playing board looking in,this feeling alone gets me down feels like an up hill struggle continuously and I know what you mean about concentration and shopping.I have to keep repeating the things back to myself as I go to shops and when im there my mind goes blank

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hey Shelley

I was on citalapram 20mg and it did nothing, I thought antideppresants made people with bipolar high??? Please does this sound familiar to anyone please tell me im not crazy and there is a genuine reason for me feling like this I feel so alone right now and it hurts. :(
I have just joined this forum as i have recently been diagnosed with bipolar type 2. And i was on 20mg of citalopram for my depression, and yes they can extensuate (dont know how to spell :unsure:) the highs. I have to come off them and go on a mood stabalizer. But as i have more downers than highs i will still have to take an anti depressant. So yeh you can be depressed for a long time and still have bipolar. Eveyone is different with the cycle so it is possible.

Hope this helps x

S

shelly

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply. Im now on zoloft the doctor has increased my dose to 100mg I am having really bad sickness and diarrhoea. I have just called in work sick. I feel really bad I hate letting people down at work. I haven't told anybody at work that Im ill. I only have this week at work left and then I will be off for 6 weeks hopefully I will start to feel better. Hope your having a good day :)

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

I feel really bad I hate letting people down at work. I haven't told anybody at work that Im ill. QUOTE]

I'm exactly the same, i have recently just told my manager i have Bipolar becuase i'm probably gonna be really ill when i change my meds.. and to my surprise she was really good about it. I think my boyfriend is more emabrrassed i have it than she was. I hate being off work and feel people dont understand it.. I think you should tell your manager as it is a recognised illness and shouldnt go against your attendance record..

What job do you do?
:grouphug:

S

shelly

Hiya

Im a teaching assistant. I'm worried they will sack me because I work with kids, and they might think I'm a danger if I have mental health problems?? I suppose that is why I'm keeping quiet plus the fact that I don't think they will really understand.
I overheard the head and deputy having a joke about the drug prozac, this really got my back up because I had a really nasty reaction to it. I wanted to scream at both of them, some people are so ignorant. I was sick today because of the drug I'm on but I'm hoping to be back at work tomorrow. Hope your having a nice evening :)

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hi

Yeh that would get my back up too. Your right, people are so ignorant to it butonly because they dont understand it and nobdy understands it uness they have it..

It is hard and harding knowin who to tell, peoples reactions have surprised me both ways.

You might be best talking to a Citizens Advice Bureau on your concerns about them not allowing you to work with kids. I cant see it myself but im not an expert..

Oh anyway you.. how lucky are you to have 6 weeks off!! I might change professions!!! Haha.. :)

S

shelly

Yes I am lucky its nice I get a break every few weeks, I think it helps. I went to work today but they sent me home because my stomach is still a bit upset. :) What job to you do??? Only 3 days to go :D

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

I am a credit controller for virgin media, :sleep: , yes boring..

So how long you been on these tabs for... zoloft? Are they an anti depressant? I.m dreading changing my pills.. Ive only decreased my cipralex a tiny bit and feel the effect straight away.. and i aint even started the other two yet.. :unsure:

Have you mentioned to your doc you think you may be bipolar? xx

S

shelly

Hiya

I have been on zoloft for about 4 weeks now, the anxiety is not as bad as it was I only took 50mg today I couldn't face having an upset tummy. Yes I have mentioned about being bipolar Im waiting for an appointment to come through.
Right now I wish I was on a high... In my case the highs are great it is just the crash into depression I can't handle. I go and do stupid things when I'm high though and then I feel r,emose, guilt and regret when I go into depression Im such a prat sometimes..lol

My husband says if I go on another high he doesn't think he could handle it which really upsets me sometimes I think he might leave me which worries the hell out off me because I become so dependant on him when Im really bad with depression. Hope you have had a good day chick :) what meds are you changing onto????

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Yeh i love the highs too but i get get more depressed than highs.. And same as you i feel guilty and mad at myself after the high with what i have done..

Yeh your bound to feel upset with your hubby saying that.. My partner cant handle the depression, he dosnt mind the highs *(apart from spending money, but i hide that :evil: )

I am changing to a mood stabalizer called carbamazapine (i think thats how you spell it) and an anti depressant, im not sure what its called. Goin to the doctors later today and hopefully he will of had the letter from the psyciatrist tellin him. I have to have blood tests first to check my liver, kidneys, tyroids etc are ok cause the mood stabalizers can damage them, so gotta check they all ok.

Hope your stomach aint to bad today xxx only 2 days left for you!! :clap: