• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is it all about you?

BillFish

BillFish

Do you ever stop and consider the affect of your illness and resulting behaviuor on those around you, either your family, friends or just those you interact with in your daily life or is it all me me me? My health care, my illness, my wants,my needs, my quality of life, my distress, my experience. Or do you consider it's affects on those around you? :scratcheshead::p

shaky

shaky

I do consider others.

I often think 'If I went into hospital now, such and such would have to fill in for me or so-and-so would be worried'

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Don't let the bastards make it all about you. Stealth is better than chaos.

BillFish

BillFish

I do consider others.

I often think 'If I went into hospital now, such and such would have to fill in for me or so-and-so would be worried'
I wasn't really referring to the negative shaky such as worry etc, was really asking If you moderate your behavour positively, and make an effort to make their quality of life better rather than your own, on a daily bases, not just when you are in crisis.
Sorry.......had an epiphany whilst driving home this morning:meanie:

shaky

shaky

I wasn't really referring to the negative shaky such as worry etc, was really asking If you moderate your behavour positively, and make an effort to make their quality of life better rather than your own, on a daily bases, not just when you are in crisis.
Sorry.......had an epiphany whilst driving home this morning:meanie:
Not sure what the difference is.

I live on my own - independently
When I'm pretty good then I don't rely on or make demands of other people
When I am not good then the things that are most likely to affect others are worry (friends and family) me being in hospital (family) and me not getting things done (friends and colleagues)

Gajolene

Gajolene

There's definately some self centered people in the world who make games out of emotional manipulation for their own benefit regardless of the effects it has on others, I think those people would do that whether they were ill or not. My mum used to use her ilness' to get what she wanted, both physical and pschological illness. Caught her faking many times so she would get her way, with myself and other family members.

shaky

shaky

In my experience paranoid delusions can make it "all about me".
Very good point

Sometimes, my brain doesn't let me think about other people.
Sometimes I am too wrapped up in my delusion to realise how I am affecting others.

F

fair&square75

I sometimes watch what I say when I'm in a really dark place,i consider when to open my mouth otherwise if I let loose,its a full scale rant that feels like I've poisoned myself when I've calmed down from it,the guilt is awful so I try let it drive me now to stay quiet and try be a better person for people I live with...not got the hang of it 100% but work in progress �� lol

Last edited:
F

fair&square75

That must have been so difficult to deal with Gajolene x

Gajolene

Gajolene

Yes a big part of my Ptsd, I've never had it easy though, as well when my PTSD first surfaced it's all I could see, I did make huge mistakes in how I dealt with my kids and family. I couldn't get away from it and it probably seemed to family it was all me me me. The guilt and shame of it and not being able to cope was enough for me to send the kids to live away from me in their teens, to stop them being effected by it. I didn't want to repeat history.
Now I no longer date because mh is such a huge and integeral part of me and the boys since they came home 5 yrs ago now. I feel it near impossible for the complications of it (mh)to be able to form and hold a new relationship. I don't want people seeing it as all me me me, or our our our mh coming before all else. It would be a huge sacrifice for anyone to give up normalcy in life to live with us.

I agree with both Flatz and Shaky on how scitzophrenia can not give you the choice whether it's me me me or not, symptoms just take over sometimes and there is no choice about it. I've seen it with both my boys many times. Irrational thinking and disorganized thinking take over and the delusions and paranioa's cloud thinking and isolate them into their own realities, it's not deliberate, just part of the illness when symptoms are present.

Last edited:
F

fair&square75

Gajolene,its seriously astonishing what you have been through, and in the past I have too made many mistakes with my son & family...but just look at what you did,you turned it around and that's amazing to me,I try and over compensate sometime with my family,when I'm well,I take my hat off to you Gajolene �� x Ps I agree with Flatz & Shaky too

M

milly

I often feel selfish and self-absorbed i think i think too much about myself :(

Observe

Observe

Yes it is all about me..im an independent, arrogant, introverted loner, with low emotional intelligence, trying to perfect my mind and body and that's just my personality, nothing to do with my mental condition. They're lucky I'm not a manipulative person using Machiavellian tactics like I could be according to my personaity..I just cut people off ..

But I'm a nice guy