• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is hugging in therapy okay?

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Just wondering what others think. I have mixed feelings about my therapist hugging me. I love it when she hugs me, and I want to hug her, but part of me thinks maybe it's not a good idea because I am already very attached to her and the more we hug the more attached I get. I dread the day that therapy ends, because I will miss her and her hugs SO MUCH.

D

Deliah

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being hugged although I would say that in the context of therapy that you therapist should be keeping more professional boundaries. If you aren't comfortable with her hugging you and can see that this may contribute to your attachment, do you think you can tell her that it doesn't feel like a useful thing for you. I've hugged my therapist before but I have asked her if I could hug her, She would never hug me with out me asking and she would also be quite within her rights to say know to keep boundaries in place. D x

D

Deliah

Is it ok for you. You are the only one who has the answer to that, but I think you have already answered that question. D x

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
She always asks me first before she hugs me. I know it's probably not the best thing for me, but I feel so starved for affection that I have no desire to say no to those hugs. I want to be hugged and obsess about those hugs and want more.