• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is hearing voices really an illness?

N

natalie

Well, yes, I am on medication to help surpress, my hearing voices, at a suitable level of dose.

However, I'm very well, under control, I am contemplating, to lower the dose, slighly, to 20ml, instead of 25ml, and see how I can battle my through with that dose.

I hope you are presently ,well, Burt.

Have a good evening ,

Best regards.

Donovan Stephenson (was EdEd)

Maybe it's considered an illness or a sign of mentall illness.. but today's knowledge would indicate that it's just a sign of mental illness I believe. Or an illness.. as we progress into the future and collect more data on it then it may turn into something more.. they may have a discovery or figure out that it is something more.. that wouldnt surprise me at all.

O

On Fire

It is an illness if you are made distressed or anxious by the voices.

By that standard I no longer have a illness.. makes sense.. that is the correct way to word it @On Fire you are definitively correct

I hear the voices still a little for time to time but they dont interfere with my life anymore..

O

On Fire

I hear the voices still a little for time to time but they dont interfere with my life anymore..
That's great to hear you are beating the voices.
Are you still taking Aripiprazole 20mg?
I am on that dosage also.
Are you under the care of a psychiatrist or discharged back to your General Practitioner doctor?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believe they can be a disability but not an illness in and of themselves.

For those that don't know me (apologies to those who do for having to read this yet again) I believe all humans consist of two minds sharing the one body, we have our consciousness and another unique and independent mind intertwined with our own.

One theory given to us by a small group of neurologists sometime in the 1960's is that our mind exists in the left dominant hemisphere of the brain while this second consciousness exists in the right hemisphere.

I believe they experience the world through us (our five senses) and by influencing our minds can get us to do the things they want us to do or at least some of the time.

Not only does my my voice claim to see, hear, smell, taste and feel what I do but when he was unmedicated he could manipulate all of those senses to create hallucinations which is where they become a disability if you can't trust your senses.

Mine could even perceive the world seconds before I did so it's believed by some that they're connected to a buffer in the brain that stores sensory data until it's sync'd up and ready to be processed by our part of the brain, this connection to the buffer also allows them to add or subtract from that data which is where I believe hallucinations come from, my voice used to use this 'early access' to say what the TV was saying at exactly the same time as it was being said, my voice could also rewrite/reword what the TV was saying and replace its words with its own so it appeared like the TV was talking about or to me.

So voices can cause us great trouble, that won't be denied by many here but we're just a small percentage of the worlds population, for the majority I believe their inner voices don't cause trouble for them and they exist in harmony with them even though we're not aware of them.

I predict that once our voices realise they can have a relationship with their host and the host would not be considered crazy or ill then more of them will come forward and reveal themselves. We may even reach a point where 100% of the worlds population will hear the voice of their inner twin brothers or sisters, in my opinion that will be a great game changer for the human race and our species will never be the same again and I hope for the better.

O

On Fire

I believe they can be a disability but not an illness in and of themselves.

For those that don't know me (apologies to those who do for having to read this yet again) I believe all humans consist of two minds sharing the one body, we have our consciousness and another unique and independent mind intertwined with our own.

One theory given to us by a small group of neurologists sometime in the 1960's is that our mind exists in the left dominant hemisphere of the brain while this second consciousness exists in the right hemisphere.

I believe they experience the world through us (our five senses) and by influencing our minds can get us to do the things they want us to do or at least some of the time.

Not only does my my voice claim to see, hear, smell, taste and feel what I do but when he was unmedicated he could manipulate all of those senses to create hallucinations which is where they become a disability if you can't trust your senses.

Mine could even perceive the world seconds before I did so it's believed by some that they're connected to a buffer in the brain that stores sensory data until it's sync'd up and ready to be processed by our part of the brain, this connection to the buffer also allows them to add or subtract from that data which is where I believe hallucinations come from, my voice used to use this 'early access' to say what the TV was saying at exactly the same time as it was being said, my voice could also rewrite/reword what the TV was saying and replace its words with its own so it appeared like the TV was talking about or to me.

So voices can cause us great trouble, that won't be denied by many here but we're just a small percentage of the worlds population, for the majority I believe their inner voices don't cause trouble for them and they exist in harmony with them even though we're not aware of them.

I predict that once our voices realise they can have a relationship with their host and the host would not be considered crazy or ill then more of them will come forward and reveal themselves. We may even reach a point where 100% of the worlds population will hear the voice of their inner twin brothers or sisters, in my opinion that will be a great game changer for the human race and our species will never be the same again and I hope for the better.
Interesting but a bit unusual. Heart felt though, I know.

Finite

Finite

I don't think hearing voices is an illness or even a symptom of an illness, I just think that's how people in this current time and place attempt to understand this phenomenon that's not particularly common and is beyond there understanding. That's not to say hearing voices doesn't impact on a person be that negatively or positively, as it sure does. I'm just saying that if we happened to be in a time and place that categorized voice hearing in a different way, it would be seen differently.

O

On Fire

Hearing voices I find really unpleasant, personally.

That's great to hear you are beating the voices.
Are you still taking Aripiprazole 20mg?
I am on that dosage also.
Are you under the care of a psychiatrist or discharged back to your General Practitioner doctor?
I'm with a psychiatrist by choice , they have me on Abilify 30s now.