• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is Hearing Voices "Normal"

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I have read on another site that some people say that hearing voices is a normal thing and not a symptom of mental illness.

I hear 2 male voices that command me to do things like self-harm and kill myself, they also tell me that the goverment are stalking me and inserting mind control drugs into my medication. Having read that this is a part of being normal i think i am going to confront my pdoc as he is insisting on me taking medication or else, i don't want to take them cos i know i don't need them.

Is hearing voices normal? Any one know?

A

Apotheosis

People do indeed hear voices; & they are not a problem to some of them. I think the gauge is whether these symptoms or experiences cause distress. If they do; then they need to be addressed; ways need to be found to better deal with what we experience that causes distress. If distress is not caused; then where is the problem? The main intervention in distressing mental symptoms is medication management; although it is by far not the only means or effective treatment.

http://rufusmay.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=9

http://www.hearing-voices.org/

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Hi i had a look at that link. They seem to be talking about internal voices rather that external ones. Mine are external and always from behind me. Is that the same thing, i would be interested to know. I have tried for years to get rid of them but even with anti-pychotic they don't go away. When i am under stress, like being outside my home they are very vocal and less vocal when in my home unless i am really unwell and phychotic.

Makes me wonder if it is really a help to take the anti-pychotic medication(quertipine 600mg)

A

Apotheosis

From what I have read; I have heard that some people hear external voices; which are kind & supportive - they are not bothered by them. Rufus May uses techniques to speak directly with the voices; to find the deeper psychological reasons as to why they are there. The voice hearers network acknowledge that what people are experiencing is real to them; & in speaking openly about their experiences; many people do find healing & ways of coping with these experiences.

I have heard external voices on occasion. It isn't my main thing. I get highly complex delusional ideas. When I stop meds I quickly go into an inner world; detached from anything external; & with increasing anxiety become paranoid.

I don't think the tablets have done me good long term. If you are going to try a reduction; go very slowly & get support. I have found Reiki & other alternative healing practises to be beneficial.