• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

is hearing voices curable?

J

Jodih124

I have been hearing voices for about 4 years. For a week during Christmas all the voices and visions went away completely. Unfortunately, they came back. Any advice on completely getting rid of hearing voices. It is terrible to live with.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Presumably you've tried some medications which haven't worked?
My psychiatrist is going to start me on clozapine.If it works I'll let you know.

R

rabina

It Is Possible...

I have been hearing voices for about 4 years. For a week during Christmas all the voices and visions went away completely. Unfortunately, they came back. Any advice on completely getting rid of hearing voices. It is terrible to live with.
Jodih,
Many hear voices for only a period of time in their lives.
You mention the voices went away for about a week during Christmas.
Do you have any idea or have you made any other observations as to when the voices and visions go away if they have ever gone away besides this one time at Christmas?
It would be good if you kept a journal on all of your observations about the voices and visions including the dates and time of the day or night as well as the locations; all you can think of.
I've made many observations about the voice I hear and coincidentally the voice I hear usually doesn't speak on any Holy Days or Holy Weeks or Sunday's...Perhaps we have something in common; I'm not sure though.
Good Luck To You and Keep Those Records; it can help.

S

scrappy

some people are lucky and their meds make the voices go away completely... unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as that and a sizeable proportion of people are left with some voices or no difference in their voices even with powerful meds.

for those of us for whom meds don't fully work, we have to learn to live with our voices - which is much easier to say than to do. I can recommend a few books about learning to accept your voices so they cause you less distress:

The first one is called 'Accepting voices' http://www.mind.org.uk/shop/books/274

'Making sense of voices' http://www.mind.org.uk/shop/books/386

'living with voices: 50 stories of recovery' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Voic...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275167674&sr=1-2

'Think You're Crazy? Think Again: A Resource Book for Cognitive Therapy for Psychosis' http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/158391837X/ref=oss_product

I have found them very hopeful - people can hear voices and lead a normal life. I hope they help you too

All the best.

R

rabina

Depends on Individual...

Jodih,

I believe that every person is different and an individual.
I did not mention that I did get rid of 4 voices without any medications. I fought these voices tooth and nail in many ways also and did succeed in ridding myself of 4 voices completely. I can be rid of this last voice by moving out of the house I now live in although that has yet to happen due to circumstances beyond my control on the matter of moving.
There is a thread here called Communicating With The Sub-Conscious Mind in the personal experience section in which the person who heard a voice also was ridden of the voice by her own method she describes in communicating with the sub-conscious mind. It worked for this person and it may or may not work for others also.
I believe there are ways to be ridden of voices, but it will depend on the person ofcourse and all involved.
I do not know about your experience in any detail so it would be helpful if you would like to share any further information because I do believe that some voices can indeed be rid of.
Again, each person is an individual and all needs to be taken into consideration before knowing if one can be ridden of any voice.
There is not one answer for all I believe and I choose to err on the side of hope, but take all into careful consideration please.
Again, Much Luck To You...

J

Jodih124

Communicating w/ the Subconscious Mind

Rabina,

Thank you for your reply. How do I find the personal experience section where the thread you mentioned is talking about Communicating with the Subconscious Mind. I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Jodi

R

rabina

S

saltandpepper

Jodi,
Quality of life plays into it. My dad used to always tell me to "get a life" and all of that sht would disappear. He was right in many respects, that the abuse and negativity does seem to stop, where they become more like our subconscious subconscience, alter-ego, rare/faint. 4 years, just wondering if you had some major trauma or event in your life which may have set it off. Nervous breakdown? Bullied? Vitamins and exercise with whole living foods, with a vengeance, can help you to turn it back around, completely, put you in charge, calling the shots, puts them in the background, distant. Daily reminders help; post-it notes, email calendar reminder popups, outlook popups, cd-player alarm clock audio messages. The vitamins and exercise is mainly to get a grip, literally to take charge.
Hope this helps...
Sal

S

saltandpepper

Jodi,
I had total silence during 2000, where it was a sign that without them, only then are we made whole; that initially there is a peroid of atrophy, where we have to learn how to live, think, and function all over again. Like being born for the first time, coming out of the womb, unfamilar with our body or enviroment, this world.

Atrophy:
Pathology: A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use: muscular atrophy of a person affected with paralysis. A wasting away, deterioration, or diminution. intellectual atrophy.