• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

is friendship supposed to be this hard?

A

amy_nutter

i have schizoaffective disorder. I don't have many friends anymore i feel they just let me down all the time and i dont take rejection well. i text and email the few i have to c how they are even when i am not feeling good myself, but no ever asks how i am or if i want to meet up etc. i have made several attempts to meet up with some recently but it all seems one sided (me) doing the chasing, then when it comes to it they always cancel on me and i end up in tears because i feel no one wants to know me. I know people cancel and that can't be helped but it seems they always cancel on me all the time.
The final straw has come today when i arranged to visit a friend for a few hours this morning, she cancelled just as i was leaving the house saying her little boy was a bit poorly. She's said he was ill last time she cancelled on me too so i was feeling like it was an excuse to cancell on me and was really upset as was looking forward to it. I eventally decided that perhaps her son IS ill and to pull myself together but I have just seen her status on Facebook saying she enjoyed meeting up with a pal in town today (certainly wasnt me!!!) so now i am feeling totally rejected again to the point i feel like not bothering with any friends as they just let you down. this seems a reaccuring thing so why bother? people just keep letting me down and i am not strong enough to handle it. my dog never lets me down!!!
sorry i just need to vent!

BORTU

BORTU

Dear Amy,

Cheer up, do not feel sorry. You can always find someone to talk to here.

I hate to say this, but are you embarrassing your friends in some way? If you talk about how you feel to them, they may not be secure enough in themselves to know what to say to you.
Save your bad thoughts for this group and only share your good thoughts with your friends.

What does your doctor/support say about this?

I have a dog and he knows when I'm feeling down. Great friends.

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Amy,

I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with your friends. I have to say sometimes people can be incredibly judgemental, and often without thinking how much it may effect others.

I have a couple of friends who when i was particularly unwell just didn't contact me or bother to speak with me. I found it immensely difficult as generally we talked daily then suddenly i didn't hear from them for months. I hope that you find you are able to make connections on here, there are always lots of members who are happy to be supportive. I think having such little contact from my everyday friends made me appreciate hugely the ones i made on line.

Take care of yourself.

X