• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is eating more than five times a day a disorder?

jajingna

jajingna

I don't eat that often, but my brother does. I don't think anyone considers it a disorder to eat frequently. Like something every two hours just seems normal to many people, I guess. Maybe it's all the sweet stuff or carbs. Food that doesn't really satisfy hunger for long. Like a McDonald's meal or something, good for maybe two hours. I think a decent meal should keep you full for longer than that.

K

khuang

I think it sort of depends on how much you are eating in each session. There are days where I just feel really hungry and keep snacking and others where I just am not hungry at all and eat maybe once or twice. I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem unless you are hungry all the time for several days. If that ever happened to me, I’d go to the doctor’s immediately because something is definitely wrong.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I agree I think it depends on how much is being eaten, what is being eaten, and why (if they are actually hungry or not). I've found personally it works a lot better for me to eat small amounts frequently, I just feel better mentally and I bloat less. I find it interesting though how some people are very adamant that the "best" way for us to eat is only once a day, some people say twice a day, some say three meals with no snacks, some people say small frequent meals...there is no one "right" way I think...because this works for me

I never eat fast food anymore..I definitely agree it is not sustainable for the body...I honestly think it is all designed that way on purpose to keep people hungry and buying more junk but that is another discussion! Haha!

B

BrightEyedGirl

Metabolism plays a huge part in it too. My ex-boyfriend had an appetite like a horse and would snack almost continuously through the day, and have huge servings at regular meals (breakfast, lunch, supper) and never gained a pound. It ran in his family, his mom and brother were the same way.

jajingna

jajingna

I think snacking or grazing is just accepted as normal now. There was not so much of that many years ago. It's not bad if the food is healthy, but often the food is not healthy. Could be all the processed stuff with man-made ingredients.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I used to eat all day long. I barely had a few hours between what I ate. Then again I do have bing eating disorder.

jajingna

jajingna

I wasn't paying any attention to what I ate for several years. I had some bad habits. I was taking those pills and just eating lots of junk. So five times a day then was a minimum, not that I paid much attention to how often I was grabbing a few cookies or whatever.

Besides the weight gain I felt lousy. Perhaps I was pre-diabetic or insulin resistant, with the after midnite bathroom trips. I sure liked the sweet stuff, loads of sugar. Might have been related to the pills, those cravings for sweets.

It's only been a few months that I've cut out that stuff. My mood and energy is still not great. These videos I watch have all these comments about how fantastic people feel after cutting the sweets, going low carb. Hasn't been like that for me. But it is better than it was.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I still love sweets but cutting out fast food and junk food in general has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I notice a huge difference in my mood and energy now if I do have something junky or greasy or processed. But I honestly don't feel a huge difference in myself whether or not I have sugary things...I'm not sure why that is. Not like I eat sugary things all the time though!
I haven't thought about cutting out or reducing carbs

jajingna

jajingna

^ I've felt depressed on a couple occasions, once after eating a big slice of pizza my brother ordered, and once from a baked potato, hard to believe.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

^ I've felt depressed on a couple occasions, once after eating a big slice of pizza my brother ordered, and once from a baked potato, hard to believe.
Pizza was a big one for me for years, and still is, unless it's noticeably healthier and not greasy. But I wouldn't eat pizza for years up until this year, it was like a food fear of mine! I don't think the carbs specifically have a big difference on me but I don't know 🤔

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Actually, it's not a huge problem. There are several diets and regimens where participants eat 5-7 times a day, depending on their needs and goals. Not specifically advocating the site or what it says, but this is an example.

jajingna

jajingna

^That 500 calorie deficit daily = one pound loss per week is pretty simplistic though. If I kept it up for 4 years I'd weigh about ten pounds.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Yeah...i'd be more likely to eat 5 times a day, but it'd end up being cheeseburgers or cake at this point...something stupid and unhealthy LOL.

jajingna

jajingna

Guess ya gotta account for metabolism changes too. The body is complicated. People love to argue about this stuff though, man, those youtube comments are crazy at times.