Is cutting people out of your life a symptom of a mental illness?

S

spacingspaces

Is it a symptom/indicator of any specific mental illness

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

It depends on the reason for it.

For example, cutting particular people out because they are toxic for you isn't a symptom of mental illness. Cutting people out of your life because you believe they are part of the conspiracy against you and they are telling the FBI (or whatever) every move you make, that is a symptom of mental illness.

I hope this is making sense :hug:

S

spacingspaces

It depends on the reason for it.

For example, cutting particular people out because they are toxic for you isn't a symptom of mental illness. Cutting people out of your life because you believe they are part of the conspiracy against you and they are telling the FBI (or whatever) every move you make, that is a symptom of mental illness.

I hope this is making sense :hug:
Yeah it makes sense. I cut people out because i go into modes where i just want to be alone for like months. Also i cut out most of my friends from high school because of my anxiety and my fear of them finding out i had anxiety.

J

jed

I cut people out of my life and rarely spoke to anyone outside my family.I a symptom of schizophrenia. and is(I now know)called social withdrawal and is a symptom of schizophrenia.Since I was diagnosed and the right medication was f

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Like night said depends on the history/context we need more info of a situation

Luci

Luci

I have cut toxic people out of my life over the years, including my mum. Avoiding people because they annoy you, trigger you etc is normal. Surrounding yourself with people even though they arent 'good' for you wont help your mental health. But you do need a support network.... people you can trust

EddieH

EddieH

I think it is a symptom of mental illness. I stopped wanting to go out, that got rid of a few friends. Turned off my phone for 2 years that got rid of the rest of them.

S

spacingspaces

Like night said depends on the history/context we need more info of a situation
I have suffered with social anxiety since i was around 12. I'm nearly 23 now. I dropped out of high school when i was around 16-17 and that's when i cut out all of my friends, including my best friend who i grew up with. Haven't properly spoken to him since. Met them a few times since then but never kept in contact. I only have one friend now who suffers from similar issues to me. I cut them out of my life because i was embarrassed of my issues and also because being in a friend group was torture for me. I absolutely hated it. I always felt paranoid that they we're turning against me and if like a party was on or something and i didn't get invited i'd feel like absolute crap and i always worried about that. And then there was the social aspect of it. It was a big enough friend group so i wasn't extremely close to everyone in it and therefore i felt a lot of anxiety when talking to them. A part of me feels like having and maintaining friends is too much pressure. I guess when you're alone you have less to lose.

S

spacingspaces

I cut people out of my life and rarely spoke to anyone outside my family.I a symptom of schizophrenia. and is(I now know)called social withdrawal and is a symptom of schizophrenia.Since I was diagnosed and the right medication was f
Schizophrenia, that's interesting. I am a pretty paranoid person but i don't think i'm schizophrenic. What are your main symptoms of schizophrenia?

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I have suffered with social anxiety since i was around 12. I'm nearly 23 now. I dropped out of high school when i was around 16-17 and that's when i cut out all of my friends, including my best friend who i grew up with. Haven't properly spoken to him since. Met them a few times since then but never kept in contact. I only have one friend now who suffers from similar issues to me. I cut them out of my life because i was embarrassed of my issues and also because being in a friend group was torture for me. I absolutely hated it. I always felt paranoid that they we're turning against me and if like a party was on or something and i didn't get invited i'd feel like absolute crap and i always worried about that. And then there was the social aspect of it. It was a big enough friend group so i wasn't extremely close to everyone in it and therefore i felt a lot of anxiety when talking to them. A part of me feels like having and maintaining friends is too much pressure. I guess when you're alone you have less to lose.
My dude this is totally normal i did the exact thing when my mental health did a nose dive and i was not moving forward i didnt want people to see me you are good dude are you getting help ?

S

spacingspaces

My dude this is totally normal i did the exact thing when my mental health did a nose dive and i was not moving forward i didnt want people to see me you are good dude are you getting help ?
Yeah i'm seeing a psychiatrist at the moment. They haven't diagnosed me with anything yet. I was diagnosed with social anxiety with the last psychiatrist i seen which was a few years ago but i never opened up to them about everything.

E

EstherRose94

if I’m anxious I find it hard to keep in touch bc it’s overwhelming even if I want to so I’ll kinda fall behind sometimes

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Yeah i'm seeing a psychiatrist at the moment. They haven't diagnosed me with anything yet. I was diagnosed with social anxiety with the last psychiatrist i seen which was a few years ago but i never opened up to them about everything.
You are on track onwards and upwards

S

spacingspaces

if I’m anxious I find it hard to keep in touch bc it’s overwhelming even if I want to so I’ll kinda fall behind sometimes
Yeah thats exactly how i feel

T

Turnitoffandonagain

I've certainly cut-off from almost everybody. Constantly alternating between anger and despondency doesn't give you much to work with when it comes to maintaining relationships. I'm far too preoccupied with my problems, and constantly feel judged by people (and then resent them for doing that).

I had a lot more social contact before my issues worsened.

Furthermore some of my friends have issues of their own (after all, I met them during sojourns through the mental health system!), so when I'm not cutting off from them, they are from me.

In general, people either have issues of their own - in which case at any given time one or both of us are not up to interacting, and who wants to cling to someone else as you both sink? - or they are fine - in which case they have little patience for those of us who aren't and understandably don't want to be dragged down. Not to mention they can induce an unfortunate sense of envy in me.

But it's always been something of a wonder to me that anyone ever manages to get on with anyone, given the vastly different formative experiences people have, and the vastly different pressures and contexts that people are subject to. I find it _so_ easy to feel alienated from people.

Or perhaps it's just a minority who find that, and there's a big tribe of 'well-adjusted', 'mainstream' people who all share a common experience and can get on with each other? (Though the current political situation suggests to me that's not the case - it appears as if nobody likes anyone, these days, mentally well or not!)

S

spacingspaces

I've certainly cut-off from almost everybody. Constantly alternating between anger and despondency doesn't give you much to work with when it comes to maintaining relationships. I'm far too preoccupied with my problems, and constantly feel judged by people (and then resent them for doing that).

I had a lot more social contact before my issues worsened.

Furthermore some of my friends have issues of their own (after all, I met them during sojourns through the mental health system!), so when I'm not cutting off from them, they are from me.

In general, people either have issues of their own - in which case at any given time one or both of us are not up to interacting, and who wants to cling to someone else as you both sink? - or they are fine - in which case they have little patience for those of us who aren't and understandably don't want to be dragged down. Not to mention they can induce an unfortunate sense of envy in me.

But it's always been something of a wonder to me that anyone ever manages to get on with anyone, given the vastly different formative experiences people have, and the vastly different pressures and contexts that people are subject to. I find it _so_ easy to feel alienated from people.

Or perhaps it's just a minority who find that, and there's a big tribe of 'well-adjusted', 'mainstream' people who all share a common experience and can get on with each other? (Though the current political situation suggests to me that's not the case - it appears as if nobody likes anyone, these days, mentally well or not!)
This is exactly how i feel. It's a constant pressure for me to try maintain friendships and like you, i'm far too preoccupied with my problems to give any energy to relationships.