• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is Bipolar a lifetime illness?

A

Art78

My question is if a person( after years of meds and counseling) able to get better after dealing with lifelong trauma. I recently read bipolar is chronic lasting years OR lifetime. Can a person be bipolar for decades and come out of it, after healing a broken heart?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

My question is if a person( after years of meds and counseling) able to get better after dealing with lifelong trauma. I recently read bipolar is chronic lasting years OR lifetime. Can a person be bipolar for decades and come out of it, after healing a broken heart?
You cant change your brain chemistry im afraid. Not yet anyway.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think some people recover well but then have to take excellent care of themselves to prevent relapse.

O

oneholelater

I re c overe from bipolar, and dis c overed skitzophernia, the hallu c entaions are real, just dont a c t on them. HAk.

A

Am33

Couple of decades ago medicine said cancer was incurable now many people recover with treatments . I think better treatments will come out . I read about new technology will be coming where science can read the energy in the brain and they can adjust it sounds like good news.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

You have asked a question the nature of which is based on a critique of the current approach in Psychiatry. Read Read Read is my advice. Anatomy of an epidemic (Robert Whitaker). Watch video's by Peter Breggin.

Read about Soteria house.

Learn about the New York Psychiatrist Thomas Stephen Szasz.

Read history
and how they used to treat the disturbed who had social break downs with simple principles of LOVE.

Trauma patients need love, time and attention.

Read how the mind works.

G

Ginger Kitten

It's a lifetime illness in my opinion and experience (had bipolar about 25 years, been diagnosed for 8), but I do think it depends on the severity. There are different forms of bipolar disorder, some of which are more extreme than others. I think it also depends on whether you respond well to medication and the different self-help measures you have in your armoury. But as someone has said above, new treatments are being developed all the time, including those which are not medication-based. So there is hope, but I would still advise following your psychiatrist's advice to the letter. Best of luck.

S

Sarah2020

My close friend has Bipolar and for her it unfortunately seems like it will be a treatable and manageable lifelong illness. She has had bipolar episodes for the past 20 years, relapsing every few years. However during this time she completed a uni degree and now works as a teacher. My friend is taking medication and seeing a psychiatrist.

there are different types and also extremes, depending on other factors such as childhood experiences, traumatic events, personality type, environmental stressors, supportive networks (friends and family). Talk to your psychiatrist or psychologist.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Bipolar is a lifelong manageable and treatable illness.