• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is anyone on Sodium Valporate?

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi, I start my meds tommorow and I'm a bit worried about side affects etc. Has anyone elsed gained wieght etc with sodium valporate?

:unsure:

Enpi

Enpi

I am and I've gained a little weight but it's not that bad. In fact I think the weight gain might have been because of Olanzapine rather than Sodium Valproate. I wouldn't worry about it that much :hug:

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Are you a female of child bearing age? If so has your psychiatrist explained fully to to get you the risks of taking this drug if you were to get pregnant at some time now or in the future?

Not trying to scare you i'm just making sure you have all the facts as weight gain is the least of your worries with this drug.

B

bluebell24

Hi there,

I've definitely put on weight but I can't really say for sure that it's the meds. I strongly suspect it may be more a result of inactivity & woefully poor eating habits!! Now that I'm feeling on the up I'm making efforts to take exercise and getting back to healthy eating :)

Definitely a good point re: pregnancy. I'm not planning to start a family anytime soon but was advised I'd need to come off valproate prior to doing so.

Bluebell

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi guys, thanks for the comments :) Yeah it was all explained to me regarding getting pregnant. I have a little boy who's 20 months and I had such a bad time when I was pregnant, I got really depressed without my meds and sadly it's really put me off having another one. So I am aware that if I change my mind, I'll have to stop the valporate.

Thanks for the concern though, it's a good sign :)

guggy

guggy

Like Enpi I am on a combo of sodium valproate and olanzapine. I gained some weight but could get some of it off when my dose of olanzapine was reduced.

F

flamehairedlunatic

I take 1500mg of sodium valproate a day and haven't noticed that many side effects. I itched like hell when I started taking it but I was on lamotrigine as well and the combination of the two are apparently notorious for causing rashes.

I feel quite drowsy in the mornings and I put on a little bit of weight, but nothing as significant as the olanzapine weight gain.

I'm about to start adding lithium to the mix as the valproate brought me down from a manic episode really well but it has left me too low.

Let us know how you get on.

:)

updownupdown

updownupdown

My Dr started me on a really low dose of 500mg. I've been taking them for a week now along with fluoxatine and I've felt quite depressed! I wonder if they haven't kicked in yet of the dose is just too low?

I'll give it another couple of weeks and see what happens..