• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is Aesthetic Sensitivity A Sign of a Panic Disorder?

S

SicklyBloom

I've realized I've become increasingly paranoid or panicked when I'm in unfamiliar settings. There even comes a point when certain colors, smells, or objects stir up my emotions or remind me of my phobias. My dad recently moved our entertainment center back on the wall near the kitchen and reminds me of distressing memories. I frantically removed picture frames off the wall and tried placing them in different locations but I was still dissatisfied. Since I've had a breakdown followed by panic attacks, my house doesn't make feel at home anymore. Every room I go into freaks me out and I end up feeling an odd sense of dread. The sunshine coming through the windows feels more eerie rather than uplifting. Maybe I'm just going nuts but I swear I feel an irrational sense of perception these days.

T

tiltawhirl3

I know I need my home to be my safe haven and I have placed everything in a way that pleases me or is a work in progress toward the aesthetics I desire. I get a sense of reward when I am able to tidy up and see the room as pleasing to my eyes and a place for me to feel comfortable. I do have the privilege of living alone. I hate it when other people move any of my things for whatever reason. I have chosen the colors and style that I like to see. Some of us are highly sensitive and it is known that colors do effect mood states. Also since it feels that I have so little control over my illnesses, this is something that I can be in total control of. How about making your bedroom a wonderful space for you with all the senses so that you can have a retreat and feel safe.