• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is a bit of encouragement from parents too much to ask for?

S

Seeker86

Hello, everyone. I’m new to the forum.

I’m in my early 30s. I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my life now. I live with my parents and sister (this is quite common in my country, by the way). Lately, I’ve finally been able to start making some money doing transcription work (I’m self-employed).

It can be hard to stay motivated though, especially when I feel really depressed. Which is why I feel like some words of encouragement from my parents would be most welcome. But no matter what I say, it’s like they don’t even understand the concept. Am I asking for too much? Should I really have to be so emotionally self-reliant that I simply stop needing this?

What’s worse, they both seem to be neurotic and afraid of the future. My dad in particular seems to be full of fear, “Will you be able to make money doing this until your pension?”

Christ, my pension is like 40 years away. I just want to get on my feet financially. First things first. I probably won’t be doing this till then. But it works for now.

In the last few months, I’ve managed to increase my monthly income by around 150% from what it was last year. They never say a positive thing about it.

Am I simply too sensitive and emotionally dependent? I mean, I suppose I am to an extent (which is part of my problem to begin with). But still...

wollie

wollie

Hi Seeker, and welcome to the forums:welcome:

To be honest I dont think you are asking to much of your parents, that is what parants do is encourage their children to get on well.
It is amazing that you have increased your income by 150% I wish I could do that, but I cant as I am a pensioner now

All the best woolie
PS

Skeep on trucking:D

B

brave99

I experience the same thing. My parents never give me any encouragement to me. In the other hand they make me “down” mentally because they always said bad things about what i do, my hobby, etc.
Sometimes just a little word of affirmation from parents is what we need...