• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

IPCC - I've made a complaint finally done it

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Hi to all,

I havnt posted for a while. Life seems to be very busy since i got engaged. Too busy in a way. I had a panic attack and fainted in the cinema on Saturday night. Since then I am having flash-backs to the last time I fainted...... while being really quite violently arrested in May.

After the arrest everyone I told about it (and the extensive bruising caused many questions) implored me to make a complaint. I was too scared and just wanted to try and forget about it. But I've been having many more panic attacks etc. since the arrest and I cant forget about it.

So this morning I have done it - made an official complaint via the IPCC website. Now I am scared and hope I have done the right thing. i know I have done the right thing, but have I?

I feel so upset and confused.

For those that didnt see my post back in May, I over ran my bath, it flooded the shop below my flat, three firemen broke my door down - I had fallen asleep. Dazed and shocked I picked the ruined lock up, exhasperated i threw it down on the floor saying "well thats bloody great isnt it?". Two policemen pounced on me and very roughly handcuffed me behind my back in broad daylight on my balcony. they dragged me out of the doorway. I was wearing a short black see through nightie.

I asked why they had arrested me, on what grounds? They said the lock had bounced and grazed their boot and that that constitued assaulting a police officer.

eight hours later I was released, without charge.

Two weeks later the last bruise - on my left breast, faded.

I have been so traumatised by this. I have never been arrested before.

I'm agoraphobic. They wouldnt let me back into my house. I would normally be out on the balcony in such a skimpy nightie. It was horrendous. I fainted. Handcuffs can be very painful. I'm thin, they bit into my wrist bones. I panicked. I was scared.

Now since I fainted again on Saturday I am having flash-backs.

Well I've done it now, made the complaint. Got to see what happens. But I am outraged by how they treated me.

Thanks for listening.

Hope you are all OK and having Good Days!

cloudberry
:cry:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Very sorry to hear that you have been having such a bad time cloudberry - but not all that surprised; the assault you suffered must have been incredibly traumatic. Anyway it is brilliant that you have found the strength and courage to complain and obviously I wish you the very best of luck with it. I am afraid I don't know anything about the IPCC procedures - do you actually have to give evidence in person? If so I would advise trying to take someone along to support you - an advocate or a friend who is competent in these sort of issues.

Nick.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Firstly, congratulations on your engagement!! Secondly, I'm sorry you still feel as bad about the farcical arrest and well done on having the courage to stand up for yourself. I hope this has made you feel a bit better xx

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
I think you've done the right thing as from what you've said those police were out of order, maybe it was to do with quotas so they now try and arrest anyone for anything or maybe it was just because they were ****ers either way they were out of line and you've definately taken the right course of action in making a complaint, i'm hoping they get into lots of trouble and this will give you a conclusion to the issue so you can start feeling better :hug: