• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Intrusive Thoughts with GAD

M

mminchev

Hi everybody,

Today I was diagnosed with Generalized Fear Disorder by my therapist in our first meeting.

Here is my story..

I am suffering by Panic Attacks for 3 years. At first they was strong then weaker and weaker and rare. Even I can say that I haven't feel that horrible thing more than year. And everything came back last week with full force. The strongest Panic Attack I've ever felt. Then I got a lot of panic attacks in the days and nights. That was ok... But 2 days after I just looked through the window and a self harm intrusive thought came to me. So panic again. Then I started searching in the net and accidentally read something for harming. Next intrusive thought: "What if I try to hurt my girlfriend I live with?" Big panic again. Next day these 2 intrusive thoughts dissapeared even I was laughing on them.. How could I think of such things. But another thought came about that I am getting sick of Covid because of coughing. This was more acceptable.. but only for one day. But on the next day and till now I am thinking only for the first 2 thought especially for the second one about my girlfriend... I instruct ed her to hide all the knives. Also I am scared to go to the living room because there are more preconditions for performing these thoughts. I am very scared not to do something. So I read a lot about OCD, but today was diagnosed with Generalized Fear Disorder. Is it normal to have such intrusive thoughts with this diagnose?

T

TheWarrior101

Yes, I think it is normal. But in due time with taking your medication and doing other things, the other stuff will not matter and it will go away. I may have GAD which stands for Generalized Anxiety Disoder. But I do not take any medicine for that. I also have schizoaffective disorder as well also. And I am doing really well.

M

mminchev

Yes, I think it is normal. But in due time with taking your medication and doing other things, the other stuff will not matter and it will go away. I may have GAD which stands for Generalized Anxiety Disoder. But I do not take any medicine for that. I also have schizoaffective disorder as well also. And I am doing really well.
Hi! I don't take any medicaments for my situation. Only herbal sedatives but I think without any effect. I don't want to take antidepressants.

M

mminchev

Oh ok. Do those herbal sedatives help? xD
I think no.. but today I started sessions with psychotherapist and she diagnosed me with that condition. She told me that we will conduct Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.. so I really hope to help me. But these thoughts are terrible. For example I am scared right now lying next to my girlfriend to not harm her some way. I am starting to thing that I'm freak. One strong panic attack and my life turned in 5 days..

T

TheWarrior101

You will be ok. Just take your medicine and everything will work out really well. Just stay calm and focused and take a deep breath. xD

M

mminchev

What do you mean by medicine? I have no medication prescribed by doctor.

malika

malika

hi. I have generalised anxiety disorder and for a while was really badly suffering from intrusive thoughts. So, first of all: yes, there is other people having the same terrifying thoughts like you :) Back then, I haven't been in this forum, but I wish I had been. I only tried to share what was going on once with someone and they couldn't understand. And I know, it is awful. But it will pass eventually! I never took antidepressants too, just did some years of therapy and actually a lot of bodywork. Coming back to the body while you are in this state is hard but works like magic! Can be anything, like going for a run, breathwork, dancing it out, yoga...
I wish you all the best and much calm.

malika

malika

actually I just realised that after all of these years it still feels quite healing to read about other peeps hiding their knifes! so thank you for opening up!