• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Intrusive thoughts vs gut instincts

M

munki

I just touched on this in my other thread and thought it deserved its own thread as a result. It should be common to all fellow anxiety sufferers.

Intrusive thoughts jump into our heads and tell us bad things. For example, I'm going skiing in a few weeks and, by chance, I read a newspaper article the other day that presented a man who was killed in a skiing accident. Immediately my mind started racing, 'its a sign, its a sign.'

I'm certain it wasn't a sign and was nothing more than coincidence i.e it's ski season so there are going to be more ski related news items. However, we are ALSO told that we have instincts and that our minds (gut) tells us when things aren't right.

My question is this, how do we know which is which?

I spend a lot of time reading signs. If I have a decision to make, I often ask for signs to help me through. So then an intrusive thought pops in which we could potentially put down to being a sign.

How do we learn to TRUST that the intrusive thoughts are LYING to us enabling us to believe that they aren't signs??

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Oh I can relate to this, big time.

I consider myself to be quite intuitive and have found my 'non-rational' judgments in pas situations to be correct.
Having said that, i've also wasted hours and hours worrying about something that never happened because I was convinced I was being given a sign. :doh:

It's really difficult and I don't think there's any way to know unless you actually do whatever it is that's provoking fear in you.
I think the more you prove these intrusive thoughts wrong, the better you can get at knowing the difference between the two.

I tend to think also that if you know you're on a downer or are generally worrying, then a 'bad thought' is more likely to be a just a bad thought.
For me it's those times where i'm happy enough but have a sudden gut feeling that are more of the intuitive nature.

That's just my opinion anyway. Am very interested to see other people's thoughts on this.

R

Rose19602

Ha! I think I'm quite intuitive too.....although my mental health journey has at times proved me wrong, and my husband thinks I'm deluded on that score! (Although I can always guess what he's thinking and what he might want to do.)

My answer to your question is a bit of a sit on the fence one....in that I no longer know when to trust my gut and when to rely on facts because I've lost faith in myself. I find that very hard because I've relied on gut instinct most of my life and I'm a bit scatty when it comes to facts and details....mainly I don't listen well enough!

I get intrusive thoughts if I'm very anxious about something....but I wouldn't be affected by that example you gave about ski accidents.....it would have to be something that hit a really deep nerve with me and which sparked something like guilt.

When I became a little paranoid, I had to train myself to look at the facts rather than gut instinct. Paranoia feeds off fear, and I found it really hard to find facts that argued against what I felt, as the fear was far more powerful than my ability to rationalise things.

Does that rambling answer make sense?

M

munki

Both of your answers make perfect sense. It's hard to put into words the way our minds take over and fill our heads with assorted dolly mixtures!

F

fair&square75

What a great subject to discuss �� I am quite an intuitive person,and couldn't always pin point if it was an intrusive thought or gut feeling...now that I'm older,I've realised gut feelings literally effect my guts! Lol al get a giddy stomach and sometimes just a bad feeling out of no where at which point,it feels like a black cloud has come over me no matter what kind of day I'm having or mood ...most times I'm right as well,I sometimes sense trouble and it nearly always happens,I've senced death also with family members,even ones who aren't close,hope this makes sense ��

M

munki

I just came across an old post of mine and how BIZARRE! Skiing holiday arose again! I found this a really interesting thread with some great answers :) xx

S

Starletta

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I just touched on this in my other thread and thought it deserved its own thread as a result. It should be common to all fellow anxiety sufferers.

Intrusive thoughts jump into our heads and tell us bad things. For example, I'm going skiing in a few weeks and, by chance, I read a newspaper article the other day that presented a man who was killed in a skiing accident. Immediately my mind started racing, 'its a sign, its a sign.'

I'm certain it wasn't a sign and was nothing more than coincidence i.e it's ski season so there are going to be more ski related news items. However, we are ALSO told that we have instincts and that our minds (gut) tells us when things aren't right.

My question is this, how do we know which is which?

I spend a lot of time reading signs. If I have a decision to make, I often ask for signs to help me through. So then an intrusive thought pops in which we could potentially put down to being a sign.

How do we learn to TRUST that the intrusive thoughts are LYING to us enabling us to believe that they aren't signs??
Tap in to your 'wise mind'. Don't look for signs, your wise mind will know what to do. For example, my brother has been disrespectful to me. My initial urge is to retaliate but my wise mind tells me not to, that it will only make things worse.