• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Intrusive thoughts + psychosis

G

guy1027

I originally posted this in the Schizophrenia Forum, and was told making a thread in this section would be more helpful.

I have been getting pretty bad intrusive thoughts, and I'm certain that they are a result of hearing voices because everything I hear is always negative or threatening, and it ends up giving me negative and unwanted thoughts.

Not to mention, am almost certain that someone can see my thoughts, because the negative thoughts that I get are immediately followed by negative comments in another person's voice (which has been the same voice the whole time I've experienced psychosis).

No medicine has been effective in putting a stop to the voices, which leads me to believe that they're real and somebody is doing this on purpose to me.

Whatever I look at, the voices can either read to me, or explain in great detail, without me even thinking anything.

So all in all, I believe that I'm being spied on, having my thoughts listened to, and having them seen by someone.

They have all been too real, and in too much detail to be my own voice.

Someone with a similar experience or knowledge care to help/exlpain?

E

Eigau

Hi there and welcome to the Forum!

I think the first step is we need to distinguish thoughts from voices. In my opinion, intrusive thoughts are not "heard" like voices are. So they may not belong in the same category, but are a part of the same group of things.

The fact that different Medicines don't work is very common.

The sense of realness to the voices is very common.

The feeling of being spied on is also very common.

So what are voices? The answer is that each individual voice hearer will have their own belief about what voices are. It's important to work with your belief and be ready to change should other information come that changes your preconception about voices.

What is real? What is real to you, may not be real to someone else. What is a hallucination to a doctor, may be something real to the client. To a scientist it may mean everything that can be observed is real. Of course things like Wind and Gravity cannot be observed directly but by their effect on other things like the trees and an apple falling from a tree.

I guess we have to ask what is real? Then once we have that definition we can determine what voices are individually.

A question I'd like to ask is, do your voices know things that you do not know, have seen, or read anywhere even briefly?

G

guy1027

Hi there and welcome to the Forum!

I think the first step is we need to distinguish thoughts from voices. In my opinion, intrusive thoughts are not "heard" like voices are. So they may not belong in the same category, but are a part of the same group of things.

The fact that different Medicines don't work is very common.

The sense of realness to the voices is very common.

The feeling of being spied on is also very common.

So what are voices? The answer is that each individual voice hearer will have their own belief about what voices are. It's important to work with your belief and be ready to change should other information come that changes your preconception about voices.

What is real? What is real to you, may not be real to someone else. What is a hallucination to a doctor, may be something real to the client. To a scientist it may mean everything that can be observed is real. Of course things like Wind and Gravity cannot be observed directly but by their effect on other things like the trees and an apple falling from a tree.

I guess we have to ask what is real? Then once we have that definition we can determine what voices are individually.

A question I'd like to ask is, do your voices know things that you do not know, have seen, or read anywhere even briefly?
Thanks for the reply. I am able to distinguish the thoughts from the voices, but I do believe the thoughts are for the most part a result of the voices.

Actually, the voices have given me information before that I had not previously known. Sometimes I have asked questions or thought of a certain image in my head and they were quickly able to distinguish in great detail the place or thing. Also questions that I am totally unaware of the answers to, have been answered by the voices... making it that much harder to believe that it's not just in my head.

G

guy1027

Not only that but anytime I look at anything the voices speak of whatever it is I'm looking at; they are even able to read something to me, as opposed to reading it myself, in my own voice. I can hear it being read, coming from outside my head it seems.

I can also feel almost bass/vibrations in my body whenever they speak.

G

guy1027

I can also feel almost bass/vibrations in my body whenever they speak.
To add to this statement.. my feet on the floor vibrate everytime they speak, so that leads me to believe there's some sort of speaker system, or since I live in a condo, some neighboring condo.

If it was only coming from inside my head, how would I feel the vibrations on my feet and computer chair?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

To add to this statement.. my feet on the floor vibrate everytime they speak, so that leads me to believe there's some sort of speaker system, or since I live in a condo, some neighboring condo.

If it was only coming from inside my head, how would I feel the vibrations on my feet and computer chair?
I don't know.

In my own experience, my voices have altered the real world. Back around 10 years ago, when it first started, the voices would 'possess' mechanical objects like fans, fridges and so on. The objects produce a white noise, and the voices would posses them. Strangely, both appliances stopped working shortly after this happened.
I can't explain it,

G

guy1027

I don't know.

In my own experience, my voices have altered the real world. Back around 10 years ago, when it first started, the voices would 'possess' mechanical objects like fans, fridges and so on. The objects produce a white noise, and the voices would posses them. Strangely, both appliances stopped working shortly after this happened.
I can't explain it,
The voices often times comment on my physical appearance (such as how I'm walking, my physical characteristics) in great detail as if they are able to see me (at home).
When not at home they comment on things seen through my eyes, leading to believe they are able to see anything I do.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

The voices often times comment on my physical appearance (such as how I'm walking, my physical characteristics) in great detail as if they are able to see me (at home).
When not at home they comment on things seen through my eyes, leading to believe they are able to see anything I do.
I have a similar but different experience. Sounds like schizophrenia to me. somtimes it is helpful to remind ourselves that it is an illness/disorder to stop us getting too paranoid/ distressed.

G

guy1027

One night I heard a group of guys driving to the place I was staying (which is what they said they were doing), while one of them said to the other "he's ok with the fact that you broke into his house?"

Also, since I've started hearing voices I've heard people who have lived above us following us throughout the house, even into the bathroom (whether we are in there to use the toilet or take a shower).

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Sounds quite intense. and a bit frightening.

How are you bearing up? How are you coping?

G

guy1027

Sounds quite intense. and a bit frightening.

How are you bearing up? How are you coping?
I mean I'm doing what I can, but at the moment I refuse to believe it's just in my head.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I mean I'm doing what I can, but at the moment I refuse to believe it's just in my head.
I find it does not matter what you believe, since it carries on regardless.

Are you in the Medical system? Do you take medication?

G

guy1027

I find it does not matter what you believe, since it carries on regardless.

Are you in the Medical system? Do you take medication?
Yes I do have a psychiatrist/therapist, taking seroquel for the psychosis. Has not been effective in the year I have been taking it. Tried zyprexa and risperidone before that.